Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Not sure what's going on. I have 2.5 gb of storage still available so it's not that. Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

16gb WiFi

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Yes, lots. Just had Safari crash 10 times in a row. Switched to Chrome and 5 crashes back to back...

App store crashes almost every time I open it.
Gmail app crashing on open multiple times in a row (gave up after 5 attempts)
mail.app just crashed once on open then opened the second time.

I have tried a restart and the restart while holding home button (forget what that's called) but haven't tried a restore. I guess that's next.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Yes, lots. Just had Safari crash 10 times in a row. Switched to Chrome and 5 crashes back to back...

App store crashes almost every time I open it.
Gmail app crashing on open multiple times in a row (gave up after 5 attempts)
mail.app just crashed once on open then opened the second time.

I have tried a restart and the restart while holding home button (forget what that's called) but haven't tried a restore. I guess that's next.

Lots of crashes sound to me like a memory issue...which is why I suggested the reset. Did you happen to have a lot of tabs open in Safari and Chrome when they crashed? Or maybe you just closed a memory intensive app like a graphic-intensive game or something?

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
7 tabs in Chrome were open. 3 in safari. One was a video page so not sure of that helped.

Not playing games or anything graphic intensive.

Ill do a restore tomorrow, I guess.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
It's been happening for a week or two now and I've tried the restarts without any luck. Before, if an app crashed, it would usually load after 3-4 attempts. I figured I'd see how long it'd take and kept trying. I must have something causing a memory leak

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
A hard reset, as mentioned is a good starting point....after closing any open apps. If this doesn't help, visit a genius. I've yet to have an app crash on my mini. I've owned it since launch and easily use it three hours a day. You might have an actual issue. Hardware or otherwise. If the behaviors persist, bring it in and have them test it.

I don't usually have 7 tabs open...but I do use Chrome often, and usually have at least three or four. It's never crashed on me

Good luck...buy realize this isn't typical behavior. May have a lemon on your hands

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
A restore as new seemed to fix it. I must've had a rogue app causing a memory leak

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
A restore as new seemed to fix it. I must've had a rogue app causing a memory leak

have you had the issue since the restore? just curious, mine has been crashing quite a bit this past week. its only a week old, i just did a restore so i will see if it works...

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
have you had the issue since the restore? just curious, mine has been crashing quite a bit this past week. its only a week old, i just did a restore so i will see if it works...

Yeah all my apps except for google+ which crashes once a day.. Annoying but I deal with it

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I had a very mysterious, similar issue with my iPad 4. I believe it was the app called Kanon Drum (I love that thing!). If you can nail down what app you think might be a rouge memory leak, try uninstalling it and reinstalling. Worked for me when I did that. Good to hear a restore fixed it too, though.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
I restored my mini and all is fine now. I am thinking it was my ComiXology app that was leaking memory.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Safari crashes now and then, sometimes there are also rendering problems. Thankfully not often but clearly more than with my previous tablet.

Hopefully these do get fixed.

brucebrendon

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2007
UK
mine is a piece of crap. tried everything. it's going back to be replaced. disappointing. mac is getting wac.

StevePenny

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
UK
Girlfriend had been having the same issues, but only for the last few weeks. A quick search & there seems to be quite a few people having issues with Minis on 7.0.4. I've done the usual of closing all the apps via multitasking & doing a soft reboot (Home & power for 10 seconds). Then deleted the main offending apps & reinstalled, did another reboot & now seems to be ok. Just opened/ran/messed around with pretty much every single app & the only app crash I got was when in Settings (she had her same email account set up 5 times & I was deleting the duplicates), apart from that all now seems fine. Will keep an eye on it & will do a fresh iOS install if need be.

................ *EDIT* & apologies - just noticed this was a thread from last December - thought it was from this year.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My rMini's springboard crashes every once in awhile, but that's really the only "issue" I seem to have with it.

I have 16GB wifi only model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.