Lots of "beachballing" on low end 13" MBP using iPhoto?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tardman91, Nov 1, 2009.

1. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I was in Best Buy today playing - scratch that - drooling over the 13" MBP that I'm going to get for Christmas. I was running iPhoto (and it appeared that everything was closed except the finder) and I was getting LONG periods of the spinning beach ball. There seemed to be quite a few photos in there for the demo machine. Is this a common thing with a large photo library? I'm sure the fact that it was a demo unit with God knows who doing God knows what to it, but I was wondering if that common? Is it really worth it to bump up to the higher processor? Or would upgrading the RAM (that's my plan in the future) take care of it?
    Thanks!

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Large JPEG images does that... I suspect the HDD is part of it too, not just the CPU.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I have a library of over 6,000 photos and don't have any problems. It's actually pretty quick. Do have 4GB of RAM though.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I only have the 2GB of ram that my 13" came with and after using it a month with over 4500 photos in iPhoto, I don't see any beach balls. Must be a problem with that demo.

My local BestBuy had the 13" on display missing a few keys. Those machines get allot of abuse.