lots of classic Mac Pro power threads lately...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Flint Ironstag, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

At least 3 on the front page today, and has been that way for a while now (months). Looks like they are approaching that age. Anybody considering the purchase of one should take this into consideration.

2. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

From looking at the threads the problems could be anything from the Logic Board to PSU. I feel that some consideration should be taken when purchasing a computer that is at minimum 7 years old, but with the current rock bottom prices of some models it almost seems like a moot point.

3. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

4. frou macrumors 6502

frou

No way, we're just getting started! Firmware updates are arriving thick and fast. I think it goes without saying that the cMP is now Apples flagship product.

5. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Well, if they decide to stop supporting 5,1...then yes it's over; however, i think they will continue to support 5,1.

6. Ph.D. macrumors 6502

I'm certain that support will stop precisely on Apple's normal schedule. Sorry.

7. carlvsam macrumors newbie

Yes, lets just discard the most most flexible and customizable computers the company has released since the Apple II for one of the "form > function" cylindrical Mac Pros, or - even better yet - the "one part breaks and the entire system has to go into the shop" iMacs?!?:confused:

Thanks, but no thanks...

8. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

They stopped supporting the 4,1 last year, that's still going strong.

They stopped supporting the 1,1/2,1 back in 2011, and that is still technically able to run a supported OS (if you count security updates only).

I think the 5,1 has a lot of life left, if you don't need anything better.

Personally, while building a new system is appealing, I have no need to. 5,1 is easily the best computing purchase I've ever made.

9. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

i think 5,1 is the best.....for how long? That's the question.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2017 ---
    which is?

10. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

That makes no sense! If it's been working for these many years (model in pic. powered by internal flame) why retire it now? :p
    Stoneage cMP.png

11. 1024724 macrumors member

Lol, and still no overheating issues.

12. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

I eWasted all of my cMP era systems 2½ years ago (about 60 systems). Everything before E5-x6xx went into the server recycling dumpster.

I'm currently working on CapEx planning to eWaste all of the nMP era systems (E5-x6xx v2) now that the Platinum 8xxx and Gold 6xxx systems are showing up. I'll keep the E5-x6xx v3 and E5-x6xx v4 systems for a while, but as they hit the 4 year service contract expiration they'll go into the dumpster too.

The best that you can say about the nMP is that it is "bronze age". ;)

13. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

LOL. clever. Bronze age. I'm curious about the platinum though.

14. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

After a little more research I found there was overnight delivery available. I was trying my best not to add this part but yes, it was delivered by Mamazon! Sorry about that! :(
    Mamzon.png

15. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

That means, expected at 2019, still 2 years to go.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    Will your company sell them at an eWaste price?

16. chrfr macrumors 604

17. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

After the disks are shredded the rest of the system is sold to recyclers, probably to end up in the market as "server pulls".

18. MIKX, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

MIKX macrumors 6502a

MIKX

Please excuse me venting my spleen in the following Mac Pro & privacy rant but it seems to me that Apple was built on Desktops and even at that time they respected our privacy
    Does this look like an iMac, MacBook, Mac Book Air .. or a MacBook Pro ?

If Apple decides to remove 5,1 cMP's ( God forbid!) from 10.14.xx then Hackintosh would seem to be the most viable path to holding onto that unique pleasure of having a well thought out ( at that time . .4,1 & 5,1 onwards) Apple UPGRADEABLE DESKTOP .. and after bootup . . . total privacy control without Apple wanting to know why and where and what I am doing;

To be perfectly honest and despite my deep love and unbounding affection for my Mac Book & cMP 5,1 . . . since Steve passed on his dream seems to have been systematically, patiently erased by the current management.

Now I have Little Snitch in Sierra 10.12.6 . . and on startup.. Sierra wanting 13 ( no less ) private pieces of information about WHO I am, WHERE I am & WHAT I am doing now ! . . Shades of "1984".

Apple also wants me to keep all of my ( what they call useful - but what I call ESSENTIALLY PRIVATE ) stuff on iCloud. . so if Nth. Korea actually scores a lucky hit on one or all of Apples servers & backup servers . . my data is gone . .if I haven't alreay TimeMachined it.

Forgive me but I can not see a valid reason to upload my life to the internet whilst Trump is the current bull in a very fragile china shop incumbent US president.

Apple. . look at your two crowning glories . . Snow Leopard & Mavericks .. In these two releases we had so much control over OS X . . we could tailor, enhance and complement these OS's to suit our particular needs. ( Mavericks could do with one more upgrade )

Since Mavericks we can no longer "SAVE AS . . ." and Our "User Library" is hidden. now in Sierra we can ONLY DOWNLOAD Apple Approved Apps. Granted there are hacks to get around these but a Windows user without any prior Mac experience would be pretty ignorant of these.

I still have 10.6.8 & 10.9.5 both installed on dedicated HDD's because I derive a great deal of pleasure from using a non-intrusive, malleable OS.

Here in Japan, in 2007 I paid in excess of US$5,500 for my first Mac Pro 2.1 .. that is definitely not chickenfeed but I honestly believed in Steve Job's dream. At that time, many cMP owners knew little or nothing at all about 64bit . . including myself. Both the 1.1 & 2,1 are perfectly capable of running Windows & Linux in 64 bit. Why did we not raise a hue & cry about this as a class group at that time?

Last year I was able to buy a 4,1 Dual Quad 2.93Ghz ( now upgraded to 5,1 ) for about US$1,500 . . but bear in mind that that extra $1,500 was JUST to be able to continue to use the latest OS X release in what the current CEO deems to be the barely acceptable Mac Pro model despite no solid firmware updates for the 1,1 - 2,1 nor 3,1.

It was not widely known when I bought my cMP 4,1 that it could be flashed to a 5,1 so easily and therefore up to higher ram and CPU upgrades.

We only have ourselves to blame for not having raised a huge fuss all over the internet regarding this long before now.

Why was 64 bit denied to 1.1 & 2,1 . . must be a class action suit in there somewhere. ( 3,1 and El Captan were abandoned, never finished . . still big GPU problems in cMP 3,1's which need kext edits).

The ignorance of the current Apple CEO is abhorrent to me. Completely, utterly & absolutely out of touch with the ENTIRE spectrum of Mac everyday & professional users desires and wants.

The APPLE $$$$ tax that Apple puts on their video cards is beyond appalling . . it took me about a total of 30 minutes to flash an HIS HD 7950 3Gb to EFI and then remove the R17 resistor which then allowed the card to have a 5.0 GT/s link speed . .which made it . . a viable Apple GPU card for US$88.

Without the ever stubborn , dedicated and extremely bright & resourceful cMP hackers out there I suspect that the cMP would be long dead by now but it and they just refuse to lay down and die. I'm grateful to them.

Apple could have released a hypothetical Mac pro" 5.2" with SATA III - USB 3.0 + PCI 3.0 + NVMe bootable . .Mac Pro. How many of us would have gladly relinquished our 2006, 2207, 2008 cMPs to get at such a treasure ? I definitely would have been 1st. in line.

Apple's thinktanks are obviously out of touch with their biggest ( single item purchase ) spending customers. How many private Mac Book / MacBook Pro /Mac Air / iPhone owners spend in excess of US $4k in a single Apple purchase ?

Every new Mac Pro could easily exceed this especially if upgrades were configured from the Apple BUY menu options.

Some bright spark should work out how much total income Apple made from the sale of ALL CLASSIC Mac Pro's to date including educational and corporate deals.

Maybe I'll stay on Mavericks. It works and I'm the boss.

PS : If I made any huge errors forgive me, as a good cMP customer my frustration with Apple just grows & grows,

19. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Did you send feed back via osx section?

20. filmak macrumors 65816

:) Just a little more patience, we 'll see what this "coming soon" (or not so soon) modular Mac Pro will be like...

Unfortunately there are not many things we can do, changing platform is a solution for some of us.
    Hackintosh is a solution too, but risky...

Also don't you think that is a bit late for the 1,1 and 2,1 MPs? They also have other hardware limitations, slower buses (PCIE 1.1 etc.).
    Anyway, Apple is famous for abandoning its own products, most of the time.
    But 5,1 and 6,1 MP users should not be unhappy at all, as we have extended support for these systems after so many years. It's unbelievable that we still have 6,1 firmware updates, and 5,1 is still a supported system. Of course for this situation, there is only one to blame or thank, Apple, again.
    Its laziness and wrong decisions, in MP section, are notorious ...

21. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

I'm confused here, its no different in Sierra than it was in El Capitain, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion. If its not signed by Apple and it blocks it when you double click it, you simply right click, select open, and then open again and it runs and remembers you trust it. I do hope you were not disabling gate keeping in the security system preference instead, when it just needed a right click -> open.

22. filmak macrumors 65816

or ctrl+click

23. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I sympathize with some of your views, but I have to say that putting your post in a thread about failing Mac Pro power supplies seems odd.

I think a new thread in the OS X subforum would be much more relevant and probably lead to more discussion.

24. Squuiid macrumors 65816

Squuiid

Basically, 5 years from the mid-2012 model, which was a 5,1, and stopped being made in December 2013, would be December 2018.
    We have time ;)

25. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

Except the 2012 mode is the 2010 model; there's no difference ;)