Lots of experience with FL Studio; Needs Mac equivalent

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by godssonisme, Jan 10, 2008.

1. godssonisme macrumors newbie

I was a Windows guy pretty much all of my adult life (i'm 22, haha), but I have tons of experience with Macs:apple:.

But while I was a Window's man, I fell in love with the simplicity and excellent execution of Fruity Loops aka FL Studio. I have about 200+ instrumentals created with that program in 2 years, so I'm really good. But my processor died on my PC, so it's time for change.

Well, recently, I ditched my PC, and stepped back with Macs, like in high school. My only problem is FL Studio doesn't have software for Macs.:mad:

So I'm in a predicament. Do i get Boot Camp, add Windows XP, and run FL Studio from there?
    Or is there another similar or BETTER audio program from Macs?

After research and asking, CuBase seems to be the most similar to FL Sudio. But I also hear Pro Tools, Logic Studio, and Garage Band are just all around better. And something about Recycle.

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm running a 733mhz PowerMac G4 with 256 MB of RAM (for now. going to got to 1.5 GB), tons of HD space, and a Creative 5.1 surround sound system. Pretty much standard for now.

Thanks again.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Logic Express 8 or Logic Studio 8 would be good choices. Both are powerful programs, responably cheap and offer you anything you could possibly want. Think of them as Garageband on steroids.

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

As you have a G4, you can't run boot camp. So running windows isn't really a viable option. There is no real alternative to fruity loops on the mac, unfortunately. Which software you choose greatly depends on how you used FL Studio. Did you mostly use software instruments, or record live audio? I'd stay clear of Pro Tools unless live audio is all you do. It's MIDI support is appalling. I was a fan of Cubase from my PC days (I moved from FL studio to Cubase a few years ago). I have since moved to Ableton Live on the Mac as it suits my workflow better. Its close to some of the FL studio features - in fact one of my friends who is an avid FL studio user has started using Live.

If you can, try out the various software for a week or so and see if you like it. Most software will have a learning curve so you cant really make an informed decision from using it for a few hours.

4. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Depends on what features of FL you like most.

I would recommend either Reason (for all the presets it comes with, and the Matrix and ReDrum devices are much like the patterns you can create in FL) or Ableton Live (for its great workflow and its pattern sequencer).

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Actually I'd second that. I ditched FL for Reason.. and combined with Live, theres nothing you can't do with it.

6. originalcliche macrumors member

With that computer you wont be able to run Pro tools efficiently enough, it will be crashing or stalling all the time or freezing on you. I'd say the same for Cubase and Logic Studio as well, though they might be a bit better. If you are looking to get into those programs you need to upgrade your ram badly. Recycle is for chopping samples into individual slices for play back on a midi keyboard in a format called rex. Which is readable in Kontakt or Reason's Dr. Rex player. Id say go with Reason but only if you have or plan to have a midi controller. Its way easier to draw notes in with fl studio then it is with reason ..

7. BaRaKa-Sound macrumors newbie

FL Studio on mac

you could also pair up iDrum with Live. If you are fiending for a grid style step sequencer, check out iDrum. Honestly, you could make loops from single samples on an arranger window, and the grid would be the same anyways.. with more flexibility than a SS, cause you can easily bounce down loops, slice etc. I switched from FL to Live when I started using Macs. Getting in the habit of working in your arranger more tends to lead to more focus on song structure I find, rather than sequencing premade patterns..

8. DJJONES macrumors 6502

9. BaRaKa-Sound macrumors newbie

Reason ?

Reason kinda sucks compared to FL Studio. It's not a DAW, cannot Host instruments, effects besides it's own, doesn't support VST's, has no real Waveform sequencing environment...

Someone coming from Fruityloops would suffer...

10. godssonisme thread starter macrumors newbie

I posted this a while ago. I actually chose to go with a Windows XP Pro 64-bit system. I still got FL Studio, but my main squeeze is the 64 version of Sonar. I'm happy where I'm at. Got 3.2 GHz with a AMD processor. 4 GB of ram. Everything is cool.

11. DJJONES macrumors 6502

your right but he was talkin about using osx instead of windows xp so slow down there buddy. last time i remember fl isnt on osx.
    ive used both so i know what it has or doesnt.

12. DJ-XrG macrumors newbie

Hi! lol i noticed you posted about FL studio on a mac or seraching for an equivilant.
    There is as you know no image-line Fl studio package out directly for mac they do have standalone apps and synths that work as plugins and such. Im running a 15 inch mac book pro new gen with the core 2 duo proc and 4gb of ram.
    Fl studio is the backbones of my studio basis so switching to mac was deffinatly a great idea as its made for musicians and artists and anything media related.
    it allowed me to use other music programs that are 30 times better then many windows based programs. but fl studio was a major downfall. To get around that i am currently using bootcamp and have FL9XXL installed i use external Hd's for my FX library's and plugin librarys as i only have the hd partitioned for 40gb (which is the bootcamp partition) If i can get my hands on a sata 2 hdd with a slim profile required for the M book pro i will pick one up 500gb being the biggest size iv seen.
    I am going to recommend to you logic studio pro or if you havnt heard about it by now you may want to look it up...Reason 4 They will inturn get the job done but reason 4 is a bit harder to get used to and logic is simply awsome.
    I hope i helped you out if i didnt i hope i helped somone else out.Thanks Pvt. Guillas

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

This thread is two years old. I bet he has upgraded from his 700Mhz G4 processor by now.

14. Quacky Doodle macrumors newbie

Earlier in this thread posted April 2008:

Reply #10

15. beepp macrumors newbie

You can run FL Studio on OSX using Crossover or other Wine based engine.

Proof on youtube