Lots of issues with late 08 macbooks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by npriess, Dec 20, 2008.

1. npriess macrumors regular

Hi,

I have just sent back my third macbook pro because of pixel errors. Is it really impossible to get one without any dead or bright pixels!?

Apple refuses to send further replacements so I will get a refund - but perharps I shouldn't order one again? :S

Isn't it normal to check for pixel errors when you receive such an expensive laptop? Or should a pixel error just be accepted?

2. Jake381 macrumors member

It is not acceptable at all.
    I have had my new macbook for over a week now and have encountered no issues (other than a key which is SLIGHTLY out of place [no biggie] and the battery case being of a slightly different color aluminum [strange, but meh]). My understanding is that the new macbook pros do have some issues though.
    Perhaps if you are that keen on one, you should give it another month (till hopefully all manufacturing faults have been ironed out) and then get one from a shop, and insist to see the laptop and inspect it before you buy it.

3. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it is acceptable either - but even though I ordered a new one :)

Here in Denmark the standard configuration 2.4ghz macbook pro is priced somewhere between $2600 and $2700 so I will keep returning them until they give me one without pixel issues.

Anyway, the slightly misplaced key. Is it the F9/F10 key? Because I think all my macbook pros had that.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

How many dead pixels are we talking about here ?, if it's under 5 ( i think ) then they can just say "its within spec"

5. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

I'm talking about 1 dead/bright pixel.

I don't know about the US/UK laws but in Denmark you have the right to return anything within 14 days after purchase. So that's what I did.

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

You're lucky that they replaced the entire machine for 1 dead pixel. Doesn't matter how expensive your machine is, the likelihood of deal pixels is the same. Probably a bit less for better quality, but it's no 0%.

Apple, Dell, HP, etc all have policies in place to deal with dead pixels. Apple's is rumored to be around the 6-8 deal pixels mark. But it differs depending on the location and density (4 dead pixels, all next to each other, in the middle of the screen vs 6 dead pixels on the very edge of the bottom of the screen).

I get where you're coming from, dead pixels are annoying but sadly they are a part of life. There are 1.296 million pixels in the 15" MBP, so 1 going wrong (7.72*10^-5% of your display) isn't impossible/unreasonable.

Edit: Oh and in the US/Canada you can return most things within 14-30 days free of charge. However, I know that Apple charges a 15% restocking fee if the box was opened and there was nothing wrong with the machine, no restocking fee if unopened. So if you lived in US/Canada you would've paid 15% of the price to give it back to them.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Are Ok I'm in the UK BTW ( the laws still the same here ), anyway you didn't mention this fact to start with ( bought within 14 days ) but you are lucky to get a replacement for one dead pixel

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Why is it the newbies always have the issues...

9. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

So the general opinion is that I should live with a pixel error? :O

I know the price doesn't affect the 'pixel policy' but still... :(

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

You can try returning it, but like i said they can say "its within spec" try see what they have to say about it

11. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

I can always return it. Actually they adviced me to get a refund and buy it again if I still want a macbook pro.

But can I expect to get one without pixel errors?
    I know it is difficult process to perfect LCD displays but I have had other laptops/lcd monitors without any pixel issues - so I guess it is possible?

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Their are loads of happy people without pixel errors, it's just that they don't ( mostly ) come on this site and announce they haven't got any problems.