Lots of Mac Pro Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheRevolution55, May 14, 2008.

1. TheRevolution55 macrumors member

I was wondering if the Mac pro suits me, compared to an imac or a macbook pro. I am really getting into photoshop work and im going to be running other applications like maya. I am also a pretty big gamer. I was wondering which computer I should get. I'm thinking the mac pro 2.8 with duel cores and 6 gigs of ram. Also I heard of Dual core imacs and mac pros coming and cinema display upgrades. So when should I buy. I'm thinking late June?????? Thanks for the help!!:D

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I am sure that many more advice will come, but the Pro is the way to go based on your needs. Overload maybe, but games expand with time & Photoshop is VERY hungry....

3. Virtuoso macrumors regular

Maya 2008 is still only 32 bit under Leopard - only the Windows and Unix versions can access the full 64 bit memory space. Hopefully this will be addressed with the next version.

Likewise, the next release of Adobe Creative Suite (CS4) is only going to be 32 bit on the Mac, which is frustrating. :mad:

I have a dual 3.2GHz Mac Pro with 16Gb of RAM and all that power is just going to waste as most apps aren't written to take proper advantage of the 8 cores and the extra memory that 32 bit apps simply can't use.

If I were you I'd go for the 24" iMac with the Nvidia 8800 option and 4Gb of RAM. Once you factor in the monitor you'll be saving a lot over a Mac Pro. They're quiet, fast and very well designed. If you need more space just plug a 1TB firewire 800 drive in.

4. DerekS macrumors 6502

Since you've identified yourself as a gamer and heavy "pro apps" user (read: disk I/O and memory intensive) I'd say get the Mac Pro.

Then, once you've financially recovered, get the MacBook Pro for when you want to go mobile. :)

5. Ludacrisvp macrumors member

I would go for the Mac Pro if I was you for sure.
    I would consider myself to use the computer in a similar way as you are.
    I purchased the top of the line MacBook Pro from the online :apple: store and had it less than 2 weeks and returned it.
    It runs too hot to be on your lap, the screen easily warps, i would close the lid and it looks like it was smiling at you. Mine may have had some extra issues than most but the keyboard was less than responsive, and the trackpad had random issues.
    I will be ordering a Mac Pro by Friday of this week.

8gb ram from Newegg.com 4x 2gb
    and this from the online :apple: store
    Specifications
    * Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    * 2GB (2 x 1GB)
    * 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    * 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    * NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)
    * One 16x SuperDrive
    * AirPort Extreme card (Wi-Fi)
    * Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
    * Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide

Subtotal from Apple $3,024.00
    Subtotal from Newegg $339.98
    Total (no tax added) $3,363.98

6. TheRevolution55 thread starter macrumors member

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would say to go for the Mac Pro w/ the 8800 GT. Although, the 24" 3.06GHz iMac with the upgraded 8800 GS would probably be plenty fast- I would say to go for the Mac Pro w/ the 8800 GT. The Mac Pro is faster, but it is also more expandable as your needs grow. The ability to install more than 4GB of RAM is also another reason to choose the Mac Pro over the iMac. :)

8. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I would definitely hit the MacPro. Solid Machines!

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

BTW the stock Mac Pros have 2x quad core Xeons (server CPUs) which results in 8 cores :D and are much faster at crunching numbers than the notebook CPUs in the iMacs and MacBook Pros. but you can also build to order a 4 core Mac Pro with one Xeon ;).

the Mac Pros and MacBook Pros where updated earlier this year and the iMac was recently updated so your all good there. the Cinema Displays are over due for an update but they are still quite adequate as their displays are amazing and display colours VERY accurately (i have one). but if your a gamer and not interested in accurate colours go for a TFT panel Dell, Samsung, Ezio or NEC.

10. Maul macrumors newbie

Maul

hey, sorry to jack your thread:D but if I order with one (or 2) optical drives will I be able to upgrade them for Blu-ray drives? Don't know if you can do it now which is why I'm asking. Thanks.

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Apple does not offer Blu-ray as a CTO option (yet). You could upgrade them yourself, but you'd have to buy the drive(s) separately.