Lots of mini-freezes - any ideas what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brybarczyk, Sep 23, 2008.

1. brybarczyk macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just bought my first Mac ever. It's a refurbished iMac (couldn't afford a new one, sadly), 2.4GHz processor, 1GB RAM, etc.

I've only had it up and running for a few days, but I've noticed a consistent problem that's making me think something is wrong. It keeps freezing up for a few seconds. It does this, on average, once or twice a minute. It's not consistent. It happens when I'm typing in a web browser (like I am now), it happens when I play Spore, it happens even when the only app I have open is the text editor. It literally happens all the time.

I know I don't have too many apps open - I keep checking that and it's not the case. I know I bought the low end of the iMac models, but I would hope that even a low-end iMac can run web-based e-mail without over-taxing the processor or RAM.

Is this a common problem that I'm just going to have to live with on a Mac? I hope not, or I'm just gonna send this puppy back and go back to my usual PC habits. And I really don't want to do that...but my five-year-old PC runs Yahoo Mail just fine, and my spiffy, pretty new iMac doesn't.

Any thoughts? I'm going to call Apple Support tomorrow when it opens, and hopefully they can fix my problem one way or another, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

FYI, I suffered eight mini-freezes during the five minutes or so that it took me to type this message on my sweet new Mac keyboard.

- Bob in St Louis

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about the issues with your new iMac. (BTW, nothing wrong with getting a refurb, it's pretty much like getting a new Mac minus the nifty packaging and hundreds of dollars.)

A low-end iMac is still a powerful machine and should do basic tasks easily without freezes.

If Apple Care can't help, they should exchange the iMac for you since you just bought it.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Agreed. This is not typical behaviour. Your iMac should be able to fly through those tasks. Spore probably stresses it a little, but web-browsing and email should be worry-free.

I hope that Apple sort your out quickly.