Lots of Page Outs in SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GT41, Sep 18, 2009.

1. GT41 macrumors regular

I'm running 2008 MacPro with 6GB Ram. So this is no slouch of a machine. In Leopard I had a few page outs, less than 100 per day of running for the most part. Since updating to Snow Leopard I seem to be getting fairly regular page outs (thousands per day sometimes ten thousands) and seemingly distribution of memory usage. Its still pretty low percentage wise 0.5% or less of page ins but its annoying to see such a number.

Has anyone else had such a problem.

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

My Mac Pro has been up for four days with no page outs. Lots of page ins, but no page outs.

S-

3. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Its because of the 32 bit programs your using. Those programs will produce page outs when they hit 3.3 gb memory and need more. I have 24 gb in mine and when using iMovie, I still get a few. Nothing you can do about it until the programs get rewritten to 64 bit.

4. GT41 thread starter macrumors regular

I would agree with your thinking on 32-bit vs 64-bit except that this was just a change in OS. The programs I am using are the exact same as before I upgraded to Snow Leopard when I had few if any page outs.