lots of problems with 27" i5

Discussion in 'iMac' started by keebs1978, Feb 8, 2010.

1. keebs1978 macrumors newbie

problems!!!!
    hello all im very new to forums so please go easy on me and what makes it worse im very new to apple to.
    i have recently purchased a 27" i5 imac less than 2 mths ago, the start of my problems was i turn the machine off one night and i could still hear a buzzing noise ( like a transformer on a power supply, im an electrician and that best describes it!) i ignored it to begin with and some days later when i could still here it thats when i got concerned, so i decided to unplug everything and restart, thats when problem 2 showed itself when i plugged any powered device into the usb ports got got blue sparks! (im no genius but that surely isn't normal, is it?) so i got on the phone to apple and after some button pushing they asked me to take it somewhere for repair, which i did and 2 wks later it returned with a new logic board and psu??? and still sparking! also i have read on a few posts that some imacs wont wake up for sleep, mines the complete opposite it wont sleep from either the menu or tapping the power button the only way i managed to make it sleep was to unplug ALL of the usb devices including keyboard and then tap the power and it slept like a baby! having spoke again with apple for a long time they now have agreed to exchange it (in a months time due to "no stock" on the applestore so really what im asking of you guys is have any of you heard of any of the faults listed
    1 sparks from usb when powered devices are plugged in
    2 buzzing noise when imac is turned off
    3 imac NOT sleeping

is there any thing you would suggest many thanks keebs1978

2. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

I'd return it for a full refund. Sounds like a lemon.

What happened to Apple quality? :confused:

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

Sounds like you have bad power, maybe? I'd be hesitant to immediately blame the iMac. And what USB devices are you running?

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

+1 - A bad power input wouldnt cause the sparking of the USB ports - definitely a lemon

5. donster28 macrumors 65816

I feel bad for you. I too think it's a lemon.

It's sad that Apple and it's customers have to go through this with these new iMacs. I mean, they're awesome machines.

I myself returned my 6th i5 which I tried in-store. I found another consistent problem that I have posted a few times in these here forums (but never had a consistent response from people who have them). Maybe I'm just unlucky but it's weird that all 4 of my replacements exhibited these:

Faint greyish speck (slightly smaller than a sesame seed) 'in' the LCD itself (not in-between the glass and LCD). For a graphics and video editor like myself, this would be annoying to look at.

I have 2 Macbook pros at home and they are flawless! Never had to go through what I went through with these iMacs.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yes it could, surely? A ground issue going through the computer would cause this.

7. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Lemon. Get a replacement. FWIW, I believe the Apple policy is that if you bring it back 3 times for the same problem, you are entitled to a replacement, even past the 14 day after purchase policy. Good luck!

8. JimKirk macrumors 6502

You are entitled to a replacement

Even if it is past your 14 days.

I am on my 4th replacement. Original was bought in November. There are so many defects that they don't enforce the 14 day thing any more.

9. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Ahem, how can it be "awesome machines" when "customers have to go through this"?

Those new iMacs pretty sounds like what we'd call a "Monday production" in Germany - or lemons, as some folks here called them.

And what about this "it's sad that Apple [...] have to go through this"? I've got two letters for you: QA. Quite obviously, Apple doesn't do that anymore. So they deserve what's coming to them.