Lots of questions for a newbie!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by digital150, Oct 23, 2013.

1. digital150 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a MacBook Pro (mid-2010, didnt want to spend a tonne of money if i can't use/dont like it for a new one.) and I have a lot of questions to ask.

1) What is the biggest differences i'm going to notice between OS X and Windows.

2) Does it take long to learn/get used to OS X?

3)Is it worth me upgrading the 4GB of ram to 8/16GB will I notice a difference?

4)Are there any known problems with this model?

5) It is going to come with a clean install of OS X ML, is it worth me upgrading to Mavericks straight away?

6) It comes with a 250GB hard drive, will this be enough for an average user?

Thanks in advance and if there is anything else I should know, feel free to post them for me :)

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

1 Software stability and integration
    2 1 month
    3 Depends on your work profile. 8GB maybe - 16Gb unlikely
    4 No
    5 Yes, Yes
    6 More than enough

Do some Googling of your own and learn by doing

3. digital150 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. digital150 thread starter macrumors newbie

another

Another question I forgot to ask, I have a lot of .wmv files.

1)Can a MacBook play them
    2) If not am I better to convert the files or download a piece of software that supports .wmv files?

Thanks in advance :)

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Could you post a little bit about what you used your old PC for? That will help us give you better advice regarding RAM, HD space and maybe a few tips & tricks.

I would say that you should install Mavericks as soon as you can. You're already making one transition.

6. digital150 thread starter macrumors newbie

re

My old PC was used for web-surfing, watching videos, photoshop, work documents etc :)

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ 1) What is the biggest differences i'm going to notice between OS X and Windows. ]]

I'll guess
    - Application installation
    - Mounting/dismounting drives and volumes
    - Folder creation and file management

[[ 2) Does it take long to learn/get used to OS X? ]]

Just go along, you'll pick it up quickly.

[[ 3)Is it worth me upgrading the 4GB of ram to 8/16GB will I notice a difference? ]]

I have an "April 2010" MacBook Pro. It's still running just fine on 4gb of RAM. My advice is, use it as it comes for the time being -- it may be all you need. You can always add RAM later on.

[[ 4)Are there any known problems with this model? ]]

Mine had a problem where it stopped recognizing that it had a firewire port. Apple replaced the motherboard under warranty, and the firewire port worked again, but then it stopped working a second time. However, I upgraded the system software, and the port sprang back to life, with nothing but a software update! So, I'm guessing there was some problem with a file that prevented the OS from knowing it had a firewire port at bootup (and thus loading the required drivers). It's been fine since.

Don't let this put you off in any way. I believe it was a software driver problem localized to my particular MacBook Pro. But you asked, so I answered.

[[ 5) It is going to come with a clean install of OS X ML, is it worth me upgrading to Mavericks straight away? ]]

My advice is -- use whatever version of the OS it comes loaded with for a period of time during which you become familiar with the Mac OS in general. Then you can think about upgrading.

IMPORTANT: if you DO decide to spring for an OS upgrade, create a BOOTABLE CLONE of your old OS using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. That way, you can always "go back" easily if there's a problem.

[[ 6) It comes with a 250GB hard drive, will this be enough for an average user? ]]

250gb has been fine for me -- lots and lots of free space left yet. But I don't use it to collect dozens of gb's of audio or video files...