Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
First off what is the difference between a G4 and G5?

What is all this "dual core" stuff about?

Does the PowerMac G5 physically have dual processors, is that what dual core is?

Has there been any talk/speculation about a G5 notebook? I ask because the G5 desktops at Fry's Electronics seem allot faster than my G4 mini and I'm considering getting rid of my Dell notebook and upgrading to a PowerBook but I think I would be disappointed with a G4.

Does Apple offer a special warranty for their PowerBooks similar to Complete Care that Dell offers? Something that covers accidental damage?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
guru_ck said:
32 bit Motorola processor vs 64 bit IBM processor

Two processors on one chip for higher efficiency.

Does the PowerMac G5 physically have dual processors, is that what dual core is?

The last models had 2 separate G5 processors.

The new release has a 2.0 or 2.3 GHz single dual
core processor and the new Quad has 2 dual core
processors resulting in 4 processors.

Has there been any talk/speculation about a G5 notebook? I ask because the G5 desktops at Fry's Electronics seem allot faster than my G4 mini and I'm considering getting rid of my Dell notebook and upgrading to a PowerBook but I think I would be disappointed with a G4.

NO! the G5 runs too hot to be practicle in a notebook

Does Apple offer a special warranty for their PowerBooks similar to Complete Care that Dell offers? Something that covers accidental damage?

You can extend the factory warranty an additional 2 years with AppleCare but there is no provision for accidental damage.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for the reply. Are the Intel chips that they will be using 64 bit as well? Does Apple have any computers utilizing Intel yet or are those going to be released next year? Kind of disappointing about the warranty. What's next then after the G4 for the PowerBook. Are they going to come up with some kind of Centrino-like processor?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
guru_ck said:
Are the Intel chips that they will be using 64 bit as well?
Probably it would be stupid to go back to 32-bit

Does Apple have any computers utilizing Intel yet or are those going to be released next year?
None on the market. Only developer versions.

What's next then after the G4 for the PowerBook.
That's anyones guess. Probably an Intel chip. I doubt you'll ever see a G5.

Are they going to come up with some kind of Centrino-like processor?
Maybe. You'll have to wait an see.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
guru_ck said:

OK, the G4 is a PowerPC processor made by Freescale (nee Motorola), the G5 is a PowerPC processor made by IBM. The G5 is characterised by a higher clockspeed and front-side bus at the expense of heat output and power consumption. The G4 has lower clockspeed and front-side bus but a much shorter pipeline meaning that at similar clockspeeds, the G4 and G5 can perform very closely, depending of course on the benchmark you use.

In the past, each processor has had just one controlling "core" - where all the calculations were done. Dual-core processors have just one "chip" but two processing centres, it's like they've taken two brains and squeezed them into one head.

The G5 now has two configurations, single processor dual core machines (ie two brains in one head) or dual processor dual core machine (four brains in two heads).

The G5 is waay too hot to fit into a notebook with the formfactor of the PowerBook or iBook, it is however a decent mobile processor (no it's not the best) offering good battery life and pperformance (the laptop processors are faster than the G4 in most minis). The G4 in the PowerBook is not a screamer compared to the Pentium M but it performs well, and has the bonus that it comes with OS X.

Apple does not cover accidental damage but offers a good warranty that covers you for 3 years called AppleCare. All Apple products come with one year's worth of AppleCare and you can purchase the extended warranty at anytime within that first year to extend your cover.

Some of the Apple resellers like Best Buy and um, I don't know any others - I don't live in the states, offer the sort of warranty you are after but then you are forced to deal with people who know sweet bugger all about Macs.

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
All great info! Thanks, I learned allot. I'll keep my Dell Pentium M 1.7 for now and when I have the urge to use my Mac I'll just hop on my mini. Hopefully we will see some big PowerBook upgrades next year. Thanks again!

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
If you really want a Mac notebook, it depends on what you're using it for. Plenty of people who do office type work and internet/email use G3 ibooks, which are super cheap these days (I highly suggest refurbished older macs from places like http://www.macofalltrades.com--I bought a G4 ibook there and it was cheap and has been running fine for the past year). If you're looking for a workhorse laptop, if you can afford a higher end G$ Powerbook, go for it, otherwise your plan to stick with your Dell sounds good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.