Lots of random restarts, video/audio stuttering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jun 19, 2014.

1. NovemberWhiskey, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I have a 2009 17 Macbook Pro with the 3.06 Ghz processor, an Intel X25-M SSD in the main drive compartment, and a secondary 500GB HDD in the optibay. I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB (1333 DDR-3 G Skill).

Anyways, recently, I have been getting a LOT of restarts. It is usually preceded by a stuttering of audio/video, which leads to a gray screen (recently it just goes to a black screen). Upon restart, it shows a gray screen which says that the computer restarted because of an error. Everything is fine after the restart, but it will do it maybe 1-2 times per day on average.

Usually happens when I am watching youtube, playing an MKV file in VLC, or playing a flash game online. Normal browsing seems fine, although it has done it then as well.

Does anyone have any ideas about the cause? Bad GPU? Is it the RAM I installed? I think I was supposed to use 1066, but overall the machine has been fine after the switch. Problems have become more frequent well over 2 years after the upgrade.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you are describing sounds like a kernel panic. It can be caused by either a software incompatibility or a hardware failure.

If you have not recently installed any software that started this, then it is likely a hardware issue. When this happens there should be a crash report that pops up to send to Apple. Try to copy that and post it here so we can take a look and maybe help.

Also, try running the Apple Hardware Test and see what that shows.