Lots of Shared Computers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by john903, Jul 6, 2008.

1. john903 macrumors member

I have all sharing options turned off, bluetooth and airport off, my firewall on, and I'm in stealth mode.

I still see shared computers popping up in my finder. How do I get rid of them? For that matter, how is my Mac even able to detect them with my wireless off? I'm using 10.5.4.

Thanks!

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Are you connected to the Internet/Local Network via a LAN cable?

3. The General macrumors 601

Why is dsn-sd.org on my list? I don't even know what that is. I see something called Stuart's Cube? WTF is that? I just want to hide this crap, all I want to see are the Macs in my LAN.

I've posted about this before but I got no responses.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=485142

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you are connected to a network in any way (and how are you connected to the internet right now, anyway?), you see other machines that are visible to you, but you are not necessarily visible to them. With the precautions you've taken, that's a pretty good bet. It's not automatically a two-way thing. Relax.

5. john903 thread starter macrumors member

All I have is a connection to broadband internet through a Motorola cable modem via an Ethernet cable. I'm not connected to any networks and all wireless is turned off.

On further inspection, the shared computers only seem to appear after I start my computer. If try and view them in finder they disappear and I don't seem them any more. :confused:

6. Gav macrumors regular

What ISP are you with? It's not entirely unknown that some ISPs incorrectly configure their cable network and issue Private IPs (in the 192.168 range) to their customers, putting them all on what's essential the same 'LAN'.

7. john903 thread starter macrumors member

Atlantic Broadband. Ok, thanks for the tip. I will contact them and see if that may be the problem.

8. The General macrumors 601

Oh, wow ... That's really stupid if the ISP does that.

How many shared computers are we talking about here? Can you talk a screenshot?

9. john903 thread starter macrumors member

They're gone now. It's usually about 3 or 4 shared computers. I'll take screenshots next time so I can see if they are the same computers each time. I haven't been keeping track.

10. john903 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it's definitely the neighbors Macs that are appearing. They only appear when I start my computer and eventually disappear. Anyone have any ideas how to prevent this from happening?