Lots of strange .bin files appeared

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Biggerplay, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Biggerplay macrumors newbie

When I turned on the Mac mini this morning, and checked "All files" in the finder, it turns out there were lots of .bin files created yesterday, these are 32 digit file names with letters and numbers (no words just random stuff) with .bin on the end.

The odd thing is I hardly used the computer yesterday (although Unity was on for a bit)

The computers been going really slow recently as well so I wondered could it of been a virus that created those files? or it's just some OSX thing?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they weren't created by a virus. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Where are these files located? What is the file path?