Lots Pinwheel and Crashes!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSchule, Jun 27, 2009.

1. iSchule macrumors member

Okay so I just bought a 13 inch macbook pro about 2 days after the keynote, and it came in on the 15th. I opened it up and it worked pretty good. I noticed I saw the spinning pinwheel a little more than I think I should. My cousin's macbook did it less frequently than my new macbook pro.

It was happening when I opened iTunes or Safari. So a few days ago I opened up iTunes and I saw the pinwheel, but then it kept going, and going, and itunes froze up and crashed. After that it has happened several times.

The same with safari and iMovie. I am sort of angry because I spent a good amount of money on this and I don't think it should be happening. I can live with it, but I certainly hope this isn't the norm! I switched to mac so things would be easier. Other than this problem everything has been great BTW!

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Some times you get a build of the OS from the factory that has some bugs. Best thing to try would be a fresh install of OSX from your disc. I do this every time I buy a new Mac and things have always been great. Also at that point if you are feeling adventurous would be doing the custom install where you can edit out extra printer drives and languages. This saves around 3-6 GB of extras you may never need but that's something you would know better than I.
    If after you still get pinwheels I'd call or go to an Apple Store/online and see what they have to say about it.
    Congrats and things will work out. Think that it's a good way to learn your Mac and not get too upset by it :)

3. iSchule thread starter macrumors member

Okay thank you! I will try that!

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is possible you have some bad RAM as well

You can always try the old standby fixes:
    Repair permissions
    Repair disk
    Reset PRAM

Regardless, if it continues, you should have Apple look at it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for fresh install. I always do this with every computer I buy no matter what OS.

Also if it continues I agree that you probably have some bad ram or it could just need a reseating.

6. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

Well I had the exact same issues on my 13.3 2.4ghz macbook. I continued to have these problems even after switching out the hard drive and more memory but as of yesterday I replaced it with this new 2.5ghz 13.3" Macbook Pro.

On my previous macbook I reinstalled the OS maybe 13-15 times within about 35 days. I did everything from a Time machine restore to a fresh clean install and still had those spinning beach balls and freezing to where I could only hold the power button to restart it.

I've done disk permissions numerous time, and whatever else people here recommended.

I hope this new Macbook Pro doesn't do this!

7. iyacyas macrumors member

EFI 1.7 update?

Did your computer do automatic updates? And iF fso do you know if it performed the EFI 1.7 Firmware update? If it did indeed do the EFI 1.7 then I would bet that's your problem. Ether way you need to take it back because this is not normal behavior.

8. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure that mine does automatic updates, I'm new to macs so I don't know where to check. Even so, as soon as I got my laptop I did all of the software updates that were available.