Loud and heated fans?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bilalo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

Hello
    I got my new 15" retina 2.6ghz 512gb ssd with 2 gb vga ram yesterday and i downloaded dota 2 on it and when i played for just 2 min i can feel the laptop heating up and the fan gets louder instantly, sounds weaker than my windows laptop but its still a lot :/ why does the fan speed up and heat up on such a powerful machine? And this is using steam on os x and not on parallels or anything.

Thank you

2. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

These machines aren't built for gaming, they are built for portability. The thin design and tiny heatsinks cannot keep the machine both cool and quiet while running very demanding tasks like gaming which will load up both the CPU and GPU to high levels.

If you want to play games on a laptop I would highly recommend buying something else.

3. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

It has 2 gb of 750 gtx vga and 16 gb of ram and 2.6 ghx. I was playing on a 4gb laptop with 1.4 GhZ, its smoot but is it ok that it heats up and all that? Its 10x better than my old laptop so i'm sure it can handle it.

4. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

It is normal. The notebook will take care of itself but you will need to live with some heat and noise while playing intensive games.

5. Benk3350 macrumors member

You are playing on a GT 750M, not a 750GTX. big difference. You have a mobile card, and while gaming is improved, your GPU is going to be working very hard to be playing games. It can do it, it just might get loud and hot. and the 2.6 processor creates more heat as well.

On the bright side though, the game should play very smoothly. You'll just have to get used to the heat and fans.

6. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

it is super smooth, I was just wondering if its ok that they heat and make noise to make sure i dont burn it out or something :/