Loud beeping sounds on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akishimo, Oct 27, 2008.

1. akishimo macrumors newbie

akishimo

For the past couple of months my MBP has been emitting loud beeps from the speakers:

1) It beeps SUDDENLY
    2) Lasts between 2 - 10 sec
    3) After which my MBP volume generally goes down by 50%

The beeps are reminisce of old PCs when you press a key too much and the comp hangs, or I think it is the same kind of beep for some start-up troubleshoot methods on MBP.

Anyone has had similar experience or knows why this is happening?

2. ElphabaPotter macrumors newbie

Me too - EXACT same loud beep issue.

I JUST had this happen to me too. I've been searching around the internet (and these forums) and have come to the conclusion that this is a RAM issue. I found this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=622245&highlight=loud+beep+from+macbook

And in particular a post by mkrishnan saying this:

- Bad memory module (which would need to be replaced)
    - Bad memory slot (logic board would need to be replaced)
    - Badly seated memory module (you can actually check this yourself, if you're comfortable doing it).

This actually makes sense for my situation because I was using Garageband and playing back my audio when I got the warning saying that playback could not happen because of lack of memory (which shouldn' be a problem for me because I run everything in the CS4 Master Collection with no problem. So I'm going to check that my RAM is seated properly (it's OWC ram).

I hope that ends up being the problem because I don't know how I would decipher between the first two possibilities by myself (aka by NOT going to genius bar).

I will report back...

3. ElphabaPotter macrumors newbie

So I cracked open my MBP and decided to take a look at the memory modules. Neither looked any different from before and they appeared to be seated properly. Nonetheless, I removed both and just swapped their places.

When I booted back up, my volume had come back to normal.

When I opened Garageband and began to play the audio back, it appears to be normal again.

Still perplexed and I don't think I fixed anything. We shall see.

4. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Come to think of it, my Powerbook G4 did the exact same thing when the memory slot was dying.