Loud click when I pick up MBP?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by discofuel, Jun 29, 2010.

1. discofuel macrumors 6502

Just received my 13 MBP and it's looking good so far. No yellow tint, no dead pixels and only a minimal amount of backlight bleed at the bottom.

But when I pick my laptop up I get a loud click from the front right hand side - is this normal?! What's making the click?

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

it sounds like it is the sudden motion sensor parking the drive head on the hard drive of the laptop. It could be over sensitive etc. and if the sound is too loud I would probably say its something wrong.
    I just picked my laptop up vigorously and it made the familiar dull click/tick which is normal. However, when I pick it up in a non-violent manner (i.e. in a smooth way), there is no click.
    If you can, take it in to an apple store and check if its normal (at least, thats what I would do if I became overly worried)

Good Luck resolving the issue :)

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

It's definitely the sensor

you can "remove" this clicking noise easily by opening up your mac and removing something from it

but it's not an anomaly to hear the loud clicks

4. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

it is possible to disable the sudden motion detector without opening the laptop.
    Instructions are on the apple website here.

5. discofuel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys - that's a relief :)

I'll look into disabling it because I'm using my laptop for DJing and it says it can cause problems with bass vibrations.