Loud clicking sound when closing lid with MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phixiuz, Jan 13, 2010.

1. phixiuz macrumors regular

Hey, anyone else here sometimes gets one or a few loud clicks when closing the lid of a MBP 13" slowly, mostly when its like in a 45 degree angle (the lid compared to the bottom)? Really creeps me out sometimes :eek:.

Edit: sorry about duplicate thread, forum didnt seem to respond at first.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I have nothing of the sort. I suggest you get it checked out.

3. phixiuz thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, now I've found how to reproduce it all the time.

What I do is I grab the lid while its at about 90 degrees, then VERY slowly pull it down with the same force for like 1-3 degrees I estimate. If you do it slowly you can feel some resistance that it doesn't simply let you change the angle for a degree or so. I think it's the mechanism that allows the lid to keep its position, though you can at the same time wiggle it a bit, but it stays in the same position. If you pull it down very slowly though, so a bit further than a 'wiggle', then I can get it to click, not all the time.

I think it's normal now knowing this? As I'm somehow forcing the mechanism that keeps the lid in a certain angle by very slowly/minimally adjusting the screen angle. Anyone else can test and confirm or am I alone on this?

4. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

smooth as glass on my new 15". but i remember playin around at the store closing the 13" and they all closed smooth as glass so does not sound right.

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I played around with mine for a few minutes trying to find this click but got nothing.

Again, I suggest you get it checked out if you're near an Apple store.

6. DoorMouse macrumors member

mine does the same (13" MBP mid 2009). just like the hinge for the screen is a bit stiff. I hadn't thought it was that big of a problem though- as long the screen still sits at different angles, at least it's not too loose. happy to be proved wrong though if people think it will damage the computer in any way?? (i'll take it to an apple store then).

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Have the same issues with mine. I made a thread about it last month and everyone said to bring it to an apple store. I havent gotten around to it yet but am going within the next week or two since I want to do some upgrades and want this taken care of before then.

8. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Just tested my 13" MBP; no problems. Take it to a Apple store. I wouldn't put up with it; it will only aggravate you.

Good luck

Habitus :apple:

9. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

I get the same thing... but mine got dropped...

10. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Maybe you're closing it too hard?

It could be the click that the MBP does when it parks the head on the hard drive.

11. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

I had this problem with my 13". It was driving me nuts. I took it to the Apple Store and they replaced the hinge. Works like butter now.

I suggest you take it to the Apple Store.

12. phixiuz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the responses, so it seems I'm not the only person who has this :).

Well I only get the clicking when I very slowly close the lid or when I want to tilt it just slightly. I might take it to the Apple store then in a few months, just when it goes out of warranty since this isn't that big of a problem. Could it possibly cause any damage/wear that normally shouldn't happen?

It's not really that big of a deal, it just creeps me out whenever it happens. And mine hasn't been dropped yet at all like someone else in this thread.

And @ BittenApple: I'm definitely not closing the lid too hard, the clicking only happens when I close it too slowly and too gentle :).

Only problem is that they don't have any Apple Stores where I live (Belgium), so I think I'd have to ship it to Apple, so I don't know if it's worth it. Would they do these kind of things aswell in an Apple Certified Reseller?

13. nStyle macrumors 6502a

They probably wouldn't do the same thing "at the store".

At places like Best Buy (which is an Apple dealer in the U.S.) I would assume they would take it but send it to Apple either way. You could probably eliminate the middle man and just call Apple and ask for them to pay shipping both ways. I don't think there is much that they could to to hold an argument in refusing.

14. Eruanno macrumors newbie

Hmm I just noticed mine does a clicking thing too, but only at a certain degree. It doesn't sound like it's anything inside the computer, but rather the body or some plastic (maybe the hinge?) making the noise.

How strange o_O

EDIT: Actually, it sounds kind of like if there's a breadcrumb stuck in the hinge or something. Annoyiiiing!
    EDIT 2: Hmm, I can't reproduce it all the time. It just clicks when it wants to. But when it does click, it clicks a LOT louder when I flip the screen up than when closing it. I also noticed a small gap on the left side of the screen hinge... but I think that's always been there, and the screen itself closes perfectly despite it.

Some images on the weird little gap:
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/Tozzar/P1030970.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/Tozzar/P1030971.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/Tozzar/P1030972.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/Tozzar/P1030973.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/Tozzar/P1030974.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/Tozzar/P1030975.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/Tozzar/P1030976.jpg
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/Tozzar/P1030977.jpg

15. phixiuz thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to bump this, looking for people who already called Apple about this. I'm gonna do so in a few months.

16. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Same problem here. Will take it to the Apple store. I wonder if people got the same problem after it is fixed?

17. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Mine used to do this, I didn't take it into the Apple Store (seemed kind of pointless to me) and now it's gone away.. I think the hinge just needs to be used a little bit and it will stop doing it.

18. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I thought that too but it did not go away for the last 4 months. I'd rather have a record of a problem with Apple so, that they do not say it is "user's fault" in case of a break or something. They don't have to fix it, just need to know I have this issue.

19. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Not reporting this issue now may lead to complications with your warranty in the future. I got my entire screen assembly replaced from just this hinge problem. New screen and lid and everything.

20. celo48 macrumors 6502a

EXACTLY! Make sure Apple even has your tiny problems in their system.