Loud Clicky Home-Button iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VanillaCracker, Oct 28, 2013.

?

Does your iPhone 5S' home button click louder than you think it...should?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2014.
  1. Yes, it definitely seems off. I can't explain it, but it sounds louder, and maybe even tacky.

25 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. It sounds normal (Even though I'm only saying this because I have nothing to compare it to)

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Soooo I don't mean to be that guy but.....I'm gonna be that guy.

I got my iPhone 5S 2 days ago. I probably should have looked around for problems beforehand but..I didn't. I started using my phone, and I set my phone down on the table for the first time to realize that it made a clicky noise. I shook it and it made a noise. I made my first call and my girlfriend said she could hear the noise when I walked around. So I went to my carrier's store and replaced it the very next day, but the new replacement had the same problem - I just said that's fine I guess and acknowledged it must be a problem with all 5s' (store models did it too) and I decided I could live with that if I need to.

The problem comes into play when I got home and started fooling around with my (newer) new phone again. Within 3-4 clicks of the home button I knew this one was a lot different than the last one. This one sounded a lot louder when it clicked, and it kinda sounded tackier. I guess I could say it sounded like it was more of a plastic button whereas the model I had the day before sounded more like glass - and was much more subtle. I honestly really don't like how loud it is, and even though one would think it might just be the "new construction" of the home button since it has touch ID this time around - it isn't. The model I had less than 12 hours before this one did not have nearly as obnoxious of a click.

Anyway, I'm likely to return it tomorrow and get one without the click. But I wanted to see how many other people notice their home button to click loud enough to the point where it almost sounds cheap, or tacky.

2. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

3. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Your voting options are a bit skewed towards your opinion of the problem, but I've used two 5S's for a decent amount of time. (Returned the original 16GB for a 32GB) If it's a "defect," then pretty much every phone out there is ruined. Every iPhone I've used has had a slight rattle to the power button.

As for the clicky home button, you're right that it's a new design, so of course it's going to sound different. That doesn't mean it's inferior or defective. If it's a deal breaker for you, go get a phone with the "traditional" home button.

4. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

So you're going to return your second one. Because the button clicks.

:rolleyes:

5. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Home button sounding louder is completely normal.

6. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I'm aware of this

I have come to the conclusion that the "rattle" is definitely there with every 5S currently available (I bet later manufacturing batches will correct the problem - as they will not be rushed to meet the ~10 million phone quota for launch), whether it was intentional or not.

You didn't read my post fully. I stated it does obviously feel and sound different but the amount of click varies between 5S models. Therefore, it is in my mind, another obvious manufacturing defect. So I wanted to get a recollection of how many are aware of this and or noticed it like I did.

Yep :D

I really don't want to have to do it....but the click. I was really happy with my 5S when I got the first model (before notching the rattle) but with this one it's almost annoying to use. That click man

7. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

So not that anyone cares, but I got my 2nd replacement and this one is much better. The home button has that "clicky" effect a lot less often than the last one. The first model I had (should have kept it - had I known the loose power button was on all models) was by far the best with the home button only making the clicky noise maybe 10% of the time. The 2nd replacement I had was maybe 70-80% of the time I pressed the button...and this one that I got is maybe 30% of the time, so not bad!

I've determined that the clicky sound is probably based on how the button was manufactured - which is why it differs from phone to phone. The phone I just replaced clicked in the top left corner of the button - which is where I push down most often - but didn't click when I pressed in the bottom right corner. This one only clicks a little bit in the bottom right corner and basically nowhere else. Much better!

I know everyone wants to just assume that they all click - but each model is different. If you're not satisfied, and actually care enough, then do what you've got to do. I'm much happier now

8. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Third option:

The iPhone 5S Home button click is loud, and this is normal.

It's all new mechanism, so it should sound different than the previous iPhone Home buttons.

9. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Agree 100%. I've gone through a few 5s's and they loudy clicky home button is a normal part of the 5s.

10. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Don't care even a little bit.

11. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Cool bro. My post was to help anyone else out in my situation. Glad you don't care, and couldn't care less about you either :D

12. Gincoma macrumors 6502

This poll sucks....
    What about an option of "click sound is normal doesnt bother me or ruin my life"

13. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I got my 5S on launch day and there is no rattle in my home button at all. I've never experienced that in any of my previous generations of iPhone as well.

14. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Lol I am 100% aware the poll is biased, I didn't really have a need for the 2nd answer, so I just tweaked it cus I'm an ashole.

Lol the rattle is for the power (sleep/wake) button. 98% sure yours does have that. Tap your power button with your finger tip (not pressing it) and you'll hear it. Then shake your phone close to your ear and you can hear it moving around. Some people thought it was the camera making a noise but it's actually a loose power button.