Loud Fan - mid 2015 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gutiinthebooty, Jun 8, 2015.

1. gutiinthebooty macrumors newbie

May 19, 2015
    I have a fairly common problem. My fans start spinning loudly when I open YouTube and Facebook tabs in Google chrome. I know chrome can be a CPU hog, but I have tried many fixes but those haven't worked.

Any solutions so that I can browse such websites without fan noise?

FYI, I have a new maxed out 2015 MacBook Pro 15inch retina.

Thanks in advance.
  2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

Aug 3, 2006
    You could use Safari instead.
  3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Oct 24, 2013
    Yes don't use chrome it's that simple, and use the click to flash plugin.
  4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Jun 1, 2011
    Cimmerian End
    You can install a program that allows you to control your fan speeds and find a better medium between noise and cooling if you still wish to use Google Chrome.

Hope this helps.
  5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Dec 11, 2008
    Enjoying Better Things
    Switch to Chrome Canary, it`s better optimised for OS X

6. tyzjames macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2015
    I had an issue with the fan. Every time I plug in an external monitor the fan speeds up to 5-6k rpm. My razer mouse also kept skipping and then disconnecting every 5min. I've got to unplug and plug it in again each time to get it to work. So I swapped my mbp 15" with dGPU for the base model. No issues anymore! I'm not sure if the one I got previously was a dud.
  7. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2014
    Which razer mouse do you use?
    On mine I have the base plugged into the usb on the Thunderbolt Display and I've noticed that it takes a second for my dpi settings to kick in
  8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

Oct 4, 2003
    New York
    Why didn't you just exchange it for a new one with a dGPU? were you convinced that all of them were defective?
  9. tadziak macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2011
    I just got a 15-inch with dGPU and after some quick testing it seems to be all good with fans. I tried playing a 1080p video in chrome on yt for 15 mins and it remained on low rpm (almost silent).
  10. Kal-037 macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2015
    Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Loud fans seems to be normal for the 15 Inch models. I had the first one with loud fan and it got hot fast so I exchanged it and the same thing occurs on the new one, (actually it is slightly better now.) I am hoping OS El Capitan will help with improving this. Either way, I can live with it as having the fans on means it's keeping it cooler.