Loud Fan Noise Flash Movies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marty1990, Feb 6, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

Was watching a flash video, was 30mins in and my fan went crazy. Really loud. It stopped once the video was paused. Nothing else was running.

I have a 13" base model, no upgrades.

What's the deal? Is this normal?

2. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Yes, Flash sucks.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

You have just experienced the reason why everyone hates flash.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Flash uses a lot of CPU power, therefore produces heat, and hence the fans must spin up to cool your computer.

HTML5 (which Apple loves) is slightly better, but it still requires quite a bit of CPU power.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Chrome or Safari? I find that Safari + Adobe flash is slightly better behaved than Chrome.

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Flash runs just fine on PC's. It's not even something that's talked about at work, where we have an entire department creating flash based training videos.

Conversely Macs don't do well on flash. They run hot & noisy.

The reason you see the childish comments about flash here, is the result of Steve Jobs hatred of Adobe & subsequent programming of his followers to also hate flash.

Everything has it's Pro's & Con's. With Apple it's just best to accept they don't run flash acceptably.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's normal. For Flash issues:

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Since you seem to have some knowledge about flash, do you have any idea why it runs so much worse on OSX? Is it using some graphics acceleration on windows (directX?) that is not available in OSX? Or is it just adobe that is too lazy to improve the code for minority OSs?

How does it perform on Linux machines?

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Flash runs well on Linux as well.

The issue with Flash on a Mac has more to do with the war that Jobs started to make Adobe look bad. Then use his masterful skills to spin it & blame Adobe for the problem.

Ironically it was Adobe that helped put Mac on the map as a good gralphics design machine in the very early days of Macintosh. How quickly Steve conveniently forgot all about the significant role Adobe played to help Apple in those very early days.

Upon returning to Apple after being ousted, it was the iPod that brought the profits in to help save Apple. Then working with the brilliant Apple engineers, the iPhone was born. Now with it's low cost, yet highly profitable mobile OS to facilitate new devices Apple became wildly profitable.

When buyers complained that it couldn't display flash Internet content, Jobs ramped up the attack on Adobe as well as bashing flash as not needed.

That's but a snapshot of a very long story behind Apples massive efforts to discredit flash & destroy Adobe. A saga not too much unlike Apples war against Android.

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Ok..you just posted the reverse of the brain wash...

WHY does it perform worse? We know it does, and we know Steve had no love for Flash or Adobe but none of this explains why.

I really don't think you know why, you just spouting of crap same as all the others on both sides.

Flash really doesn't run too much better on Linux than it does in OSX..
    Flash runs better on system after they've settled and been working for a while. Flash also works better in faster connections..It is solely a processor thing either I watch Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime on my G5..

11. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

welcome to flash. In my experience, flash runs fairly poorly on just about any computer, eating CPU cycles and heating things up. That's why a majority of the web is working on switching to HTML5.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Adobe can look bad all by themselves; they don't need Apple's help to accomplish that. Adobe is notorious for resource-hogging bloatware. This was true on Windows just as much as on Macs, as far back as I can recall. thundersteele asked for a technical explanation and you post a biased anti-Apple rant that has absolutely nothing to do with why Flash performs so poorly.

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It has everything to do with Adobe's piss poor implementation on OSX ... which you seem to be equating to some kind of personal vendetta by Adobe, which I suppose is possible, but it's still an Adobe issue.

I can sit here and stream video to our Apple TV (i.e., running iTunes), plus Chrome, Mail, RD and a Win7 VM with development tools and my machine is fine. Open up a tiny 320x240 video deployed via Flash and my CPU and fans spike like I'm rendering scenes for Toy Story 4.

Heck, I even sometimes run Netflix on my built in display (while driving my external 24") and the machine runs just fine (i.e., Silverlight video streaming is implemented reasonably well vs. Flash).

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

Please keep the thread on topic - enough with the bickering.