Loud fans when playing games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by halisray, Jul 6, 2011.

1. halisray macrumors regular

Hey all,

I just recently received a MBP 2.3ghz, basically the new 13inch 2011 model. I play day of defeat source using steam for mac and the fans get loud and by using smcfancontrol I saw that the fans were hitting 6000rpm whilst maintaining temp at 70.

is that ok or should I stop playing DODS?

Thanks!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

No problem. its completely fine. thats what happens to me too so :p

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That's what happens during gaming, and that's why the fan is there. No worries, enjoy your games.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

5. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

okay so I can keep playing them then? phew

I don't play that much.. maybe 2-3 hours a week

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can play as much as you want, it won't hurt anything. If your computer gets hot enough to cause any real damage, it will shut itself down

7. MuddyDucky macrumors newbie

MuddyDucky

I game sometimes too; it's alright, it won't explode on you. ;)

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

My computer was sitting at a nice cool 94C with the fans running 6200RPM, and a cooling pad...lol. Don't worry, you're fine.

9. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Welcome to AppleLand where skinny aluminum laptops make plenty of noise trying to keep cool. You can't have your cake & eat it too. Apple cares more about looking cool, than running cool.

That's why the overall lifespan is far less than a well ventilated ThinkPad with a world class cooling system. All to insure a silent, cool running, exceptionally long lasting machine.

I know I've used both for years. As much as I enjoy my new MBP, it's heating temps are really annoying.

10. halisray thread starter macrumors regular

The fans only come on when I go into the DODS game. Other than that they run quietly.