Loud Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madisonfaye, Aug 14, 2011.

1. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Hey guys :)

I've been wanting to replace my 750GB 5400RPM stock HD with a SSD. Its just consistently really noisy even when the computer is not doing anything.

My question is, am I just being a baby? Do you guys notice constant whirring and clicking from your HDDs? Should I just stick it out and get used to it? I like the idea of having a large hard drive, but I'm not tech savvy enough to do the optibay thing.

So pretty much I guess I'm asking, do those of you with the standard hard drives notice constant noise?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

I don't. It sounds like your drive may have issues if it's really that audible. Every hard drive makes some noise, but it's usually hard to hear nowadays.

3. madisonfaye, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I wish I could record its sound accurately. I don't want to be that person that complains over noise that most people would consider standard! I wish I had another to compare it to, unfortunately I'm leaving to move to a place where there are no Apple Stores within a 5 hour trip :(

Edit: Also, anyone that knows about SSDs, can this one work in my MPB

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364780

I think I will opt for them to install it there if I do make the switch

4. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

It's difficult to say... how loud is it? My hard drive is slightly audible; I can hear it spin and click every now and then if I listen real close and the room is quiet. It's normal of any drive to hear it a little. Also, the higher the capacity usually the louder the drive is. 1TB~1.5TB laptop drives are pretty noisy.

Yeah that will fit.

5. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I recorded a bit of the noise on my iPad, but it exported it to .m4a and I can't figure out how on earth to upload that lol :(

The most annoying part is the constant whirring, I work in a quiet environment most of the time so thats why I'm worried I'm just being too sensitive

6. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Right click it and select compress, then upload the created zip file.

7. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

or use mediafire.com or sendspace.com

8. heyadrian macrumors member

Mine was really quiet (when it worked), I hd to put my ear to the unit to hear it doing its thing.

Are you sure your fans arent @ 100%?

The DVD Drive will click away if the DVD in there is unreadable

9. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

the difference between dvd drive and hard drive replacement is unplugging 2 cables and unscrewing 5 screws... also is the excessive sound youre talking about louder than the sound you hear when opening your MBP from sleep?

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I think that certain hard drives may click more than others as a feature of sorts - like energy saving, etc. I could be wrong, I am not sure how true that is.

If it's legitimately constant though, that's probably not good.

11. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Sandforce 2281 Controller

There have been problems with the Sandforce 2281 Controller. Check out Anandtech and also google it. Usually a reason for a $85 price reduction.

12. hooneyrob macrumors member

I always thought it was the fans on my previous machine with 750GB hard drive but since my new machine has a 128GB SSD I realise it was the constant noise of the hard drive as the machine is now silent.. That is until you give it something taxing to do and then it simply sounds like the vacuum cleaner..