Loud Hard Drive..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimonMoles, May 15, 2008.

1. SimonMoles macrumors newbie

When I first got my MacBook Pro, it was dead silent running.

Now, there is always a small "whirring" sound coming from the left under the speaker. Almost like a fan, but I've heard this is the hard drive...

I also heard that its only the Hitachi one that does this... (I have Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00, according to system profiler) If I take it to an apple repair centre would they replace it for a quieter one? Or could I replace it myself without Voiding the warrenty? (And if so, which one would I replace it with?) I'd really like this laptop to be quiet. :(

2. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Are you sure it wasn't there from the start? I replaced my HDD in my PB and the new one is just naturally louder in the whirring than the old one. I doubt apple will replace it unless it is loud enough to suggest imminent failure.

3. SimonMoles thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I was just used to my loud PC.

That sucks that they won't replace it - why do they use louder hard drives in some models than others?

I might look into replacing it with a WD one, if I feel I can open the case myself.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Why doesn't Apple use WD drives in the first place? They're by far the best around. I didn't even know Hitatchi made hard drives until I opened my MBP up a few days ago.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

What makes you think WD is the "best"? i've had two of their caviar desktop drives fail on me and RMA'ed both of those suckers. I just bought one of their Caviar SE 500GB drives and placed that in my external. Hopefully it will not fail on me *knock on wood* I'm not saying they're bad, but I certainly wouldn't call them the best.

Seagate and Samsung also make pretty good drives.

and Hitachi has been making drives for a very long time.

6. EMILinator macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA
    if a hard drive fails, does that mean it is no longer possible to retrieve the data inside?

its kind of disheartening to know your hard drive fails and you can't retrieve 60 GB of data. :rolleyes:

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

depends on what the problem is. If its just something like corrupted data, it may be possible to retrieve data via software methods like Data Rescue. If its a physical failure with the drive you'll have to send it in to Drive Savers for mucho dinero, where they physically open up the drive.

8. EMILinator macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA

hmmm. i see. well it depends how much that 60gb is worth to me if im gonna spend lots of money it..