'Loud" iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zarley, May 24, 2008.

1. zarley macrumors member

I have a 2.8ghz 24" w NVIDIA 8800GS and the fan sounds loud. Anyone else experiencing this? What gives?

2. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I have the 3.06GHz model and I find mine loud. At least it is louder than my previous 2.8GHz Extreme with the Radeon 2600. When I say louder I don't mean the machine is mega loud, just that it is noticeably louder than my previous mac. Right now, I can't really hear it unless I stop to listen. However, when night falls in a few hours I will notice the iMac without having to try and listen to it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with mine - i just think that's how loud the fans are. They are spinning at just under 1200rpm according to iStat Pro

3. JCCash macrumors regular

I just bought the 3.06 iMac and compared to my PC tower, I can't even hear it. It's nice to have some peace at last...

4. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Agreed. Most PCs are noisy beasts. This is bliss compared to my mate's old Multivision PC!!! But... it's still less bliss than my previous iMac. I guess that's the price I pay for wanting the latest graphics card. :confused:

Unless of course, this is more to do with the "montevina" style chipset???
    :confused:

5. JCCash macrumors regular

Do to hearing AC in my house I have to move my ear close the the iMac in order to hear the fan. I do hear the CD/DVD drive when it starts up.

6. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Yeah, I noticed this too. Again, I never noticed this on my previous iMac. I think it's a different drive unit to the previous one. Can't remember the name of it though.

7. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

you also have to consider that PC desktops are usually under the table in a cabinet so the perceived noise level is not as high. iMacs are on top of the desk unobstructed where the fans are running at head/ear level so it's easier to hear the fans.

8. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

So that means the new Mac Pro, tucked away neatly under a desk would be completely inaudible!

Still, I don't mean to go on but my previous iMac was quieter than this one. It was in the same position too...