Loud Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Confused, Sep 3, 2012.

1. The Confused macrumors newbie

Hi I have a 13 inch macbook pro, and it's less than 9 months old, and recently my Fan or something has been going really loud, from the moment I open it, it also sounds like the fan gets stuck every five seconds for about a mili-second, and I've tried smcFanControl, and set it on the lowest, and yet it's still loud

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Are you running intensive applications? You could also open it up and clear out any dust or build up that may have accumulated inside over the past 9 months.

3. The Confused thread starter macrumors newbie

Well sometimes, but my computer gets loud from the moment I turn it on, even if I only use it to browse the internet

4. Idefix macrumors 6502

You need to open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Set the top "drop down" menu to "all processes" and see what's pegging the CPU. Report back with any questions.

Do a restart and see if that fixes it.

5. The Confused thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already checked the Activity Monitor, and again I don't have anything big open, and further more when I'm not doing anything it's loud, and also my whole computer's also vibrating from the moment it turns on. After school today I'm going to check for dust built up and reset the smc

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Take it into an Apple store and let them look at it. The fans shouldn't be stopping and starting when they're going at full speed.

----------

Woah, just saw this.

Do you happen to have a disc in the optical drive? I've never been able to FEEL vibrations from the fans, even when they're at full speed.

7. trikky macrumors regular

What did the Applecare people say when you phoned in to ask them about what seems to be a hardware issue?

8. paul-n macrumors regular

Did you swap drives?
    I saw such an issue after replacing the hdd with a ssd in an iMac, the solution was a software, which controls the fans.
    Another problem could be parallels desktop, which also could trigger hi fan rates.

9. The Confused thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I haven't changed any optical discs or made any modifications on it since I got I, and yes it vibrates the source seems to come from some-where underneath the center of the keyboard, and can apple take-care of this problem, I mean my warranty's still valid, and if they can I'll just take it there when I can.

The problem's really bad, my computer's running at about 52 degrees celsius(127 F), the fan's running at 1993rpm, but it's still really loud

10. The Confused thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Arizor macrumors member

Good lord that sounds horrific.

Get a can of compressed air, take off the bottom, spray the fans.

It's either filled with dust clogging up your fans, or your fans are just on the way out and those are the sounds of a slow, agonising death.

12. simsaladimbamba

Sounds like something is stuck in the fan. Can you open it and see, what might be stuck in there? iFixIt has several guides on how to replace the fan, which should guide you enough to open the Mac and remove the fan for cleaning, maybe even get some compressed air to push the dirt out.

13. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

That sounds bad, it should not make a noise like that. I doubt that compressed air will fix it. Sounds like something has failed. I would take it in to be fixed under warranty.