Loud new Macbook- HDD Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blink1225, Sep 26, 2010.

1. blink1225 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am so upset right now, this is my 2nd macbook with this problem. I just got this macbook yesterday and the hard drive is making a clicking noise, but it isn't a click....click...click... like a lot of people have had, it's actually more of a quick series of clicks every few seconds, almost like the hard drive is shaking. It goes away for a bit when I am typing, like right now, but after I stop it comes right back. Also the fan is pretty loud, considering I haven't put anything on the computer yet.. I've already been to the genius bar and all they did was give me a new, worse macbook, so there is no way I'm going back. Are there any fixes for a noisy hard drive aside from voiding my warranty and putting my own in? If it is normal, I might just invest in a good pair on noise cancelling head phones... Thanks!

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

I bought the 2009 macbook white unibody and it is very silent. Both the hard disk and the fan are pretty quiet, i can't hear them at all at work, and at home with all other electronics off i can hear them a little bit. I would just return the macbook if I were you, wait a few weeks, and buy a new one.

3. Covart Guest

Putting in your own harddrive does not void your warranty, unless YOU screw something up putting it in. HDD and RAM can be replaced by the user without voiding the warranty.
    That said, with both a fan issue and HDD issue, you really are better off taking it back and getting another one. The fan issue could be caused by any number of things.
    The HDD in a Macbook is really a POS anyway, that should be replaced by a quality drive IMO. You'll be much happier spending $50 and getting a 7200rpm WD Scorpio Black 320GB drive.

4. blink1225 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I returned it and got a new one that's dead silent, and I'm loving. (especially iMovie). I'm considering switching out the hard drive for a larger one eventually, I originally thought I'd have to do a complex process of taking it apart to do it, but once doing some research I found all you have to do is take out the battery and pull the HDD out, and put the new one in. I'll wait and see if I have any issues with hard drive space before I do anything though.

Loving my macbook! thanks for the responses.

I'm guessing the problem was just a little louder than normal hard drive, I have very acute hearing, and I'm extremely particular about my computers, oh well, at least I got a nice one.