Loud noise from external speakers when docking/undocking MacBook -- any way to avoid?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NMF, Mar 18, 2013.

1. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Is there any way to avoid the loud noise you get when docking/undocking a MacBook? I'm talking about using powered, external speakers that are always set to "on." I used to think it was no big deal but I recently had to replace my Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III after only a year because they stopped working. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the super-loud "popping static" noise you hear when plugging in the speakers to the MacBook.

Is there a trick to get around this? Maybe an Automator script that switches sound output to the internal speakers when the power is unplugged, or something along those lines? My desk layout is such that it's not easy to get to the subwoofer, which is the only place you can turn the speakers on or off (smooth move Harman/Kardon, you dumbasses). Due to this the speakers are always in "on" mode, even when the MBP is not mounted.

I should note that the speakers are now connected to a Thunderbolt Display via USB sound card, but the popping static still occurs when plug/unplug the Thunderbolt cable.

Thanks...

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Can you power off the TBD before you undock?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question, I don't have a TBD)

3. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

Nope. No power button. :(

4. simsaladimbamba

5. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

As I already said, the power button is down on the subwoofer, which isn't easy to get to with my desk setup. The whole point of me buying the TB display was to have fast and easy docking/undocking. I'm not going to get down on my hands and knees every day and reach behind my bookshelf to fiddle around with the subwoofer before I go to school. It's just not going to happen.

I was hoping for a more software-oriented solution, if possible...

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

you could try something like this to move the switch up to the top of the desk.

it all depends on if the speakers will stay in the on position when you remove the power. so that they turn on when you restore the power.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The problem is the noise generated when unplugging the audio cable. Is there a way to turn the volume down on the speakers before unplugging? Otherwise you will need a remote powerswitch for the sub-woofer.

8. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

I just tested by unplugging the cord and the speakers revert back to on position once plugged back in. Could it possible damage the speakers by doing this though? If not then I might go this route and stick the button right by where the MBP docks.