Loud output MBP 13" 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac1984user, Apr 22, 2011.

1. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Hey there. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing loud speaker volumes (through the audio-out port) on their MBP 13" 2011s. On the very lowest sound setting on my MBP (1 bar on the volume control), my volume is still quite loud. At halfway, it's about as loud as the HIGHEST setting on my previous 2009 MBP. On the highest volume setting on the 2011, I reckon my ears would be bleeding. Has anyone else noticed this on their machines? Is this normal? Sometimes I like to have very quiet music going through headphones while I work, but I cannot seem to get the volume down to a comfortable level.

2. matwue macrumors member

I have the same problem with my 13" 2010 MBP, and having done some research on the topic it seems to be normal. The issue is more prevalent with low impedance gear, such as high quality headphones or ear plugs. Mine (Shure SRH440, 44 Ω) are *WAY* too loud at any setting other than the lowest ones available through OSX's volume setting.

So, after plugging them in and before even wearing them, I set the system volume to the lowest possible value. If that is still too loud, there is only one thing left you can do: Turn the volume down in the application you are listening to. Using the volume slider of for example iTunes, you should be able to get the volume down as much as you need to. But be careful: All the other applications can still be very loud, so be careful with opening Youtube videos and the like. :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hold the Option and Shift key down while adjusting volume for smaller (1/4) increments.