Loud Scratching Sound Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andras5soul, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Andras5soul macrumors member

My macbook pro has never made weird sounds. It is 2 and a half years old. It has been dropped twice, but not recently at all. Upper left side of macbook pro made very loud scratching sound as I opened it from sleep. It only did it when I had the laptop at a certain angle. It is still doing it. Im currently backing everything up to an external hard drive. I'm very worried. It was very loud, not the fan, not the usual disc slot movement, not the speakers. What should I do? PLEASE HELP.
    THANKS in advance!
    -Andras.

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hmm, that is wierd, theres no moving parts on the previous model MBP's in the top left corner as you described. Closest part would be the fan. The only thing i can think of is possibly the speaker making some strange sound.

I'd take a hardware test after your back up using the original disks that came with the machine, see if anything pops up.

Edit: By the way, which model MBP Pro is it and have you got applecare?

3. Andras5soul thread starter macrumors member

no applecare anymore and its the 15" 2.2 ghz... it was the first LED one, came out 2 summers ago.
    Isn't the harddrive around there...?
    it is not the speakers and not the fan. checked both. turned my fans off using smcfancontrol and muted the volume.

4. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Thats the exact same model that I own and am using to type this right now, how fortunate.
    Anyway, the hard drive is in the lower left corner of the macbook, to the left of the touchpad just in front of the bottom of the keyboard.
    heres a better look http://echeng.com/journal/images/misc/echeng070426_110497.jpg

btw, you can't actually manually turn the speakers or fans off using the OS so to speak. the fans will not go below 2000rpm each with smcfancontrol and the speakers could still technically produce a noise by something outside of the OS so to speak. The speaker buttons don't turn the electrics off for the speakers, just adjusts the softwares volume. Basically it doesn't completely rule these out.
    Shame abut applecare by the way. Has it made the sound again since?

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

actually, this is probably a better picture, http://images.appleinsider.com/mbp-c2d-inside-1.jpg just realised the other one had a different dvd drive to replace the superdrive, not that that really matters with what we're talking about, its just you don't kno of they've changed anything else in it.

also, have a look at this, http://www.maccomplainer.com/macbook-complaints/macbook-scratchy-or-buzzing-noise/ if that describes what you can hear, then they are claiming that its the cpu making the noise.

If it wasn't for that tho, i would say it was the fan. The fact that you've dropped it twice could have previously loosened it and its gotten worse over time with use, and the fact that it only happens when you tip it on its side.

6. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

I bet its the hinge or something is bent in the hingeor possible the hinge needs oiled.
    culprit the hinge.