Loud vibrate fix

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mazdamiata210, May 13, 2015.

1. mazdamiata210 Suspended

My original iPhone 6+ had a very quiet vibrate compared to my replacement unit I got months ago due to a wifi issue I had.

Anyway, I got sick of the vibrate being so loud so I decided to open up my phone and take the 3 screws out that hold in the vibrate motor and then simply reinstall them tightly. It has greatly helped with the volume of the vibration on my phone. Sometimes I don't even realize it vibrated when it's in my pocket where as before I could hear it vibrate in the next room over.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you apply some Loctite, I suspect over time those screws may work themselves lose due to the vibration without some thread locking liquid.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Off topic but I remember one of my Blackberry devices vibrator motor coming loose in the case and the sound was so loud you thought it was going to distroy the phone. It would move across the table it vibrated so hard.

4. Coupz macrumors regular

So you ruined your warranty because of an too loud vibrator? Why not bring it back to apple and let it replace?

5. mazdamiata210 thread starter Suspended

Nope, surprisingly there was no loctite or adhesive on the screws to begin with which I found odd because I know other generations of phones had it.

I had a Samsung Blackjack that vibrated like that also lol

How is my warranty ruined? If I take the phone back (which I have never done with any phone I ever owned prior to this iPhone) they can't tell that my phone was opened. It's simply 2 screws and the glass lifts out. Why would I bring back a perfectly working phone and have to go through the hassle of driving an hour to the Apple store, arguing with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, waiting an hour for my appointment and then waiting for a "diagnostic" to be run, get a replacement refurbished phone that is not new, and setting up a phone again when I'm capable of fixing it myself in 90 seconds?

6. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

Tecnically, doing so does indeed void your warranty. But I agree that it would be difficult for them to detect that it had been done. The point remains, though, that doing so is not without risk to your warranty coverage.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not considered a user replaceable or accessible component but the warranties are usually written in such a way that if you open it and damage the phone (or product) then the warranty is damaged. I don't believe the warranty states if you just open the phone, its voided. I could be wrong because I'm too lazy to see what the latest warranty states, and I'm only going on memory :)

8. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

Could be. I haven't studied the fine print either. But when I got a warranty screen replacement for my wife's iPhone 6 last week, when handing the phone over for repair, the Genius Bar representative had me sign an acknowledgment (which I lazily did not read) that he explained stated that I understood that if, when they opened the phone to do the repair/replacement, they found any sign of water damage or any sign that the phone had been opened by anyone other than authorized Apple repair personnel, then the warranty would not cover the repair.

To your point, perhaps that means if there is damage caused by your opening it, the warranty is voided. But perhaps the act of opening it in and of itself doesn't void the warranty. I honestly don't know the answer to that.

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Here's the pertinent language from the U.S. warranty (emphasis added):

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

We're forgetting about the user intervention sensor. That had to have been tripped. ;)

11. mazdamiata210 thread starter Suspended

Tightening 3 screws doesn't exactly damage anything. They should have been properly installed to begin with. I'm pretty sure I can teach a monkey to tighten a screw without damaging it.

Just like rooting Android or jailbreaking iOS voids a warranty. Can they tell it was done? Nope. I've returned phones that were rooted to AT&T (for hardware issues) and the manager of the store had her own phone rooted.