Loudness of the new trackpad "click"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wallock, Oct 26, 2008.

1. wallock, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

wallock macrumors member

2. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

You really don't like the tap to click function that much?

It seems all the track pads are this loud. It doesn't really bother me but I can see how it could be a problem. I find them about the same volume as their mighty mouses which were pretty loud.

You could always try to find a 3rd party mouse that has a more quiet click for the times you're in the library. I think your best option might be tap to click.

3. itcomic macrumors member

there is a post teaching you how to open the back of the macbook (i think its battery cover) to adjust the tightness of touchpad. If you adjust it, the loud click will go down by alot. It is suggested by a member here who have test it. (the topic I think it is, plz read, whether you like the new macbook pro or not ) something like that. Its one of the reply. Or get a USB mouse.

4. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

5. moclippa macrumors member

Yah I'm in the same boat as you OP, graduate student who spends long hours in the library and can't have something that sounds like a clapper go off every time I click. I haven't gotten my new MBP yet, but I would have thought it would just be easier to just replace the hard click with a soft click when you're in situations like that.

If it really bothers you and you feel you just absolutly can't live without a hard click, you could try the self repair option... but I would wait it out a bit, have a few other people test and report back, and make sure it doesn't void you're warrenty first.

6. Shawnstra macrumors regular

I guess that it is built this way as many people may click it accidentally as the whole trackpad is the button. Touch clicking is quite easy to get used to, and it's great, seems like magic lol. I think with the whole large trackpad thing without the button, you can pretend there is a button, but sorta click softly and it'll do the same thing?

Oh btw you know what is loud, my apple wireless keyboard. Sounds like drums.

7. patrick1234 macrumors member

i help me self:
    i rember me the solution in the old macbook´s, trackpad problem.

now i position a small piece of paper between the battery and trackpad (try it self where), now it is quiet.

8. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

It is indeed loud, but I think you can learn to love tap-to-click. It's silent and efficient. And if you absolutely can't tolerate that, I would get an external mouse as recommended above.

9. ashtreex macrumors newbie

I find the loud click a pain - the trackpad is not the best for sensitivity, why should the 'buttons' be so unpleasant to use? generally not as nice as my Viao. - disappointing.

10. mrbmine macrumors newbie

Touch click has hardly any sound it's the way to go or buy a quiet mouse.
    If all goes bad... buy a PC:(

11. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Bluetooth or wireless mouse maybe?

12. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

I don't like tap click bc I always find problem dragging things in the OSX with that function on. Hate the dragging options they have. Button is the way to go. But seems like the problem can be easily solved by putting something soft in between the battery and the trackpad. (Maybe a really thin pad?)

13. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I found the click really loud at first. The tip for adjusting the screw is great but what's with the "Y" shaped screw??

I've gotten used to just tapping to click. If I have to drag from one side of the screen to the other, I still 'click' for that type of action but that's about it.

Has anyone else noticed that you have to click when if and when you log in to the mac os (if you have more than one account setup)? Tapping on the user to get the password field doesn't work for me.