Louis Rossman - Hilarious Technical Commentary w Teeth

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by RumorConsumer, Dec 10, 2016.

1. RumorConsumer macrumors member

RumorConsumer

This dude is hilarious. As a former repair technician myself I found his commentary to be mostly spot on, funny, and informative. Enjoy!

2. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

He doesn't make "technical commentary"

He doesn't know what he's talking about, he's a repairman, not an engineer.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While I do find some of his criticisms to be spot on, I think he has an axe to grind against apple. His reballing video he's saying Apple put in a timer to cause the Macs to fail because apple care is coming to an end. I stopped listening to that video after that comment. While I agree with him, that reballing is not repair, I couldn't stand his rhetoric.

4. RumorConsumer thread starter macrumors member

RumorConsumer

Yes I agree that one was over the line. And as a tech who sees hundreds of machines his views aren't totally without basis. 2007/2008 MacBook pros died w their graphics issues around then as did the 2011 machines. But yes, that is conspiracy theory.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 11, 2016 ---
    He's a user and a repair man yes, and he's consumer oriented which to me makes him fun to listen to.

5. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Must be for you.

For me, he's a jackass that thinks and convinces people he's better than what he actually is.

Also, a liar, and that's what his audience likes to hear. Tim Cook must have stole his lunch.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no doubt that the Apple has had some significant issues with 2007 -> 2011 MBPs regarding the GPU and 2012 -> 2014 (or later?) with the coating wearing off on the display panel (staingate as some call it).

Like I said, I think some of his criticisms are accurate but I still think he does have an axe to grind against apple.

8. RumorConsumer thread starter macrumors member

RumorConsumer

For sure x100. That part agreed.

9. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

He has.

Lots of computers have problems with GPUs.

But because they aren't Apple, nobody talks about them, don't generate clicks. And most people are fine, because most people don't buy PC's with GPU's, and the ones who buy, know how it is and don't whine.

10. RumorConsumer thread starter macrumors member

RumorConsumer

That is so interesting. Ive been in the mac world for so long that never occurred to me. Got a link for a major PC maker GPU issue?

11. iMacC2D, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  12. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

I'll eat my shoe if he ever participated in any engineering project!

No, he doesn't, he just hates the company and opens MacBooks and iPhones to find a reason to hate them more.

He never opens a HP and complains about the noisy fans or the many layers and many screws you need to go trough just to get to the board. Or that the SSD is also soldered in a Asus. He's just a mentally hill person with cognitive dissonance.

What more can one say about people that say Apple makes chips designed to fail after 3 years? Hundreds of millions (not exaggerating) of Apple devices out there with more than 3 years working just fine without any intervention ever.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree, he is showing some of the questionable decisions apple has made over the years and its ramifications.

While I do think he hates Macs, I think what he offers in terms of insight and how things work is beneficial

Yes, I think more information is good for the consumer.

14. RumorConsumer thread starter macrumors member

RumorConsumer

Unless you've been a repair person in a shop literally working on hundreds of machines a month its hard to convey the impact of the experience of watching the exact same part failure come in over and over and over again. Its like groundhog day. Same with the iMac bulging capacitors. Same with the MacBook 2006's top case chipping, optical drive failures, Seagate hard drive failures, LCD inverter failures, heatsink temp sensor failures, ALL of which affected tons and tons of units. So yes he for sure has an axe to grind and from his perspective he has a lot of information that many others dont.

15. iMacC2D, Dec 13, 2016

iMacC2D macrumors 6502a

16. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

BS!

Where did they get that?

I'm an EECS, never seen a capacitor with MTBF rating! The expensive stuff is designed to last forever, the cheap stuff doesn't have a datasheet.

That's pure BS. Some people hate Apple, but looks like he lives and works for hating Apple!

I have a MBP from 2010, and it still works fine to this day!

17. iMacC2D, Dec 13, 2016
  18. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

That's what happens when you read the data-sheet and you're not an engineer.

That's the life of the component if being constantly charged, those are signal capacitors, and are not constantly charged, the power capacitors, yes, are constantly charged when the device is powered on.

Does he tell his viewers when they (as usual with unauthorised repairmen like him), fix the problem temporarily, then after a few months, the problem persists?

Don't think so!

He doesn't have the qualifications to judge that.

19. RumorConsumer thread starter macrumors member

RumorConsumer

If you watched the videos you would know that he does! With great depth and vigor. Please see this video at 8:15 -

Pretty much an entire tirade in this exact point. Cross examine?

20. iMacC2D, Dec 14, 2016
  21. notebookfix, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

notebookfix macrumors newbie

When I read all your comments, only one question comes to mind...How old are you?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    ...and you sir sound so much more 'qualified' too ha ha ha . What you hate you create,...it's not electronics son, it's psychology...stop projecting your inner **** onto others. You end up revealing more about yourself than what you can possibly imagine...ha ha ha .

22. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

What is your point really?

He knows the melting point of soder?

Or the amateur psychology?

Yeah, insulting people makes you win internet arguments! /s

23. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

What a autistic complainer that doesnt understand the scale apple is working under

24. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

[​IMG]

Someone tell him that’s not “sarcasm”.