love airdrop but...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by auzzuro, Feb 7, 2015.

1. auzzuro macrumors regular

i love using airdrop but why apple only allow it when only having wifi connection switch on .... how about will we are outside and want to use airdrop to share photo with my frz nearby

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It uses wifi to send the file

3. radioking macrumors regular

Why does it matter if you have to have wifi on? The 2 devices don't have to be connected to the same network. It works outside or anywhere for that matter. The reason it uses wifi instead of Bluetooth only is because wifi is much faster. Bluetooth only sets up the transfer, then hands it off to wifi for the actual data transfer.

4. Markyyy macrumors regular

You sure it needs wifi? Because I can use Airdrop to send random pics to unsuspecting random people when I'm out somewhere

5. Zxxv Suspended

it uses wifi between devices, you don't need to be connected to a wifi network

bluetooth makes the handshake connection.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above Bluetooth does the handshake and initiates the adhoc wifi connection.

7. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

sometimes i am outside there is no wifi network so if i were want to send a photo to my friend who is beside me i dont think can use airdrop to send right ? i hope airdrop can use cellular network to send photo

8. Planey28 macrumors 6502

It doesn't use a wifi network to send the file. It establishes a wifi direct connection between the devices to send the file, using no network. You can use airdrop anywhere.

9. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

You don't need to be connected to wifi or cellular for airdrop to work. Your phone is creating a "network" between you and your friend temporarily to send the file.

10. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

ok finally i realise that i dont need to be at home with wifi connection than can use airdrop to send a photo or a file... it was my mistake ....

11. auzzuro, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015

auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

12. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Correct. Others simply need to be in range of your Bluetooth AND have Airdrop turned on. :apple:

13. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

My roommate and I were discussing this the other day. She said airdrop worked anywhere and I said "no, you need wifi". I'm glad I didn't push the issue. :cool:

14. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Haha reminds me of this article I read a long time ago. Where this guy would send a sloth astronaut picture to people who left air drop on unexpectedly.

15. afsnyder macrumors 65816

It uses wifi HARDWARE. But doesn't actually need to be connected to a network.