Love and hate my imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by liquorice, Dec 8, 2013.

1. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

I love my imac but I wouldn't buy one again, unless I could afford to change it every 2-3 years and was lucky enough not too be waiting for my 2nd graphics card change.
    Its a lovely machine but now I've been nearly a week without it and am losing the love, especially as I am down to using a ipad and an old omnibook xe4400 :D
    All in one systems are not for me, when it finally dies I will also be without a beautifully screen.

And not the easiest thing to drag into an apple store for repair .

2. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

When it does fail (or outlives it's usefulness), you can use that beautiful screen in Target Display mode, assuming the screen isn't what failed. It'll be just like a Thunderbolt Display with a slightly elongated chin.

3. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

That's true as long as I get a mac or would a pc with thunderbolt be able to use it as a screen. Just wondered as am considering building my own computer again.

4. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Depending upon your budget, get a Mac Mini or a new Mac Pro and a Cinema Display.

5. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

It appears that my type graphics card is a constrained part, so they are trying to get one from another store.
    So hopefully should get my imac back by the end of the week.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you really feel that constrained by the GPU, you might want to consider a Mac Pro. Not the new one, but a 5.1 or similar...You can swap drives, change graphics cards in much the same way as you can with a PC making things more flexible. I'm lucky enough to have both a top spec iMac as well as the MP and a rMBP, and I find the gaming experience on my iMac to be fine, but I do have the 2GB GPU..the newer models with the option of 4GB should be more than ample for most modern games.

7. liquorice thread starter macrumors regular

liquorice

Its not me who said the graphics card is constrained, it was the genius but I think he meant hard to get hold of.
    I have a top spec BTO 2011 imac.

----------

Good news just had call from apple and they are getting the part from apple store in Southampton, so should be fixed by Wednesday :D

8. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I would say depending on needs…..

The Mini is probably all the average Joe or Jill needs. The Pro is for more for pros. Both form the heart of a system, with components based on budget and requirements. Parts, including the computer itself can be upgraded / updated as needs or desires dictate.