Love everything about iPhone4 except how it feels in the hand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluush, Jun 28, 2010.

1. bluush macrumors 6502

Something about this phone just doesn't feel comfortable in my hand, this is something I'm certain of (for myself, obviously). Granted, I will still keep the phone because the retina display and FaceTime more than make up for it, but I can't help but miss how solid, durable and "comforting" the 3GS felt in the hand. The sharp corners of the iPhone4, especially that of the metal band, simply feel uninviting and uncomfortable.

I really like the new volume buttons, but thinking about the iPhone as a whole.. the iPhone4 almost seems, design-wise, like it would've been the first iPhone, and then as it progressed it became more smooth and curved. Something feels "blocky" with this new phone.

Regardless, the feature set more than makes up for this and I've been loving my iPhone4 experience thus far, especially shooting some HD vids.

2. Bakakage macrumors 6502

I never liked how the 3GS felt naked, probably because I used an incase slider on it for so long. But after getting used to it the iphone 4 feels pretty good in my hand, I'm still getting a bumper this week though to fix the signal issue and also I like how it looks compared to the iphone 4's naked form.

3. ArcAngel66 macrumors regular

It's definitely less ergonomic than my naked 3GS. Sharp edges and what not.

But, I don't mind it too much since the build quality is absolutely amazing so I give it some slack.

4. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

You have a point, although, I think the new phone looks better (visually) even if less ergonomic. Plus, I will happily take the square edges if it means they fit more battery inside!

5. CashDude macrumors regular

All of the iPhones feel terrible in my hand. They're way too slippery.

I would occasionally use my 3G naked at home, and it slipped out of my hands a few times (in before that's what she said).

I was using my iPhone 4 naked until I noticed it made me lose my signal. I never dropped it, but I did notice it was slippery. Now it's in my silicone 3G case, which I modded to work with the second mic and camera flash. It feels great it the case, but it's not a perfect fit. I'll have to wait for a good iPhone 4 silicone case to come out.

6. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I'm totally with you op. Wish it would have stayed the same, but it is what it is. I'm gonna get an otterbox defender case, or maybe whatever model is right under it and hopefully that will make the phone feel a little better in the hand. I know it added some girth to my 3GS, and I think with a little more mass, this phone may feel a lot better. If nothing else, it will get rid of the rough edges.

7. lathode macrumors member

8. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

+1 Def like the look, less like a toy to me. I think some of this design stuff has to do with trends in fashion/electronics. That and what the rest of the apple product like looks like. Think of the iMac and apple displays. They've become less round and more "blocky" over time. I think a while back people/designers thought round was more futuristic, but I feel like they've gone away from this over the past couple years. But I also believe that apple accounts for user feedback for design as well. I remember plenty of people complaining about the prior iphone's rounded back, as it would easily rock while set on a flat surface.

Have yet to hold the iPhone 4, so I'll have to see how it feels. But I also think there will be a variety of cases to account for "feel" preferences. You can always buy a grippier and more rounded case if you prefer. :)

9. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yes. This too. Didn't Steve mention this in the keynote?

10. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

To be honest I love the feel of the iPhone 4 in the hand. Solid and comfortable and I've never, not once, felt like I'm going to drop it. What I DID find to be a problem though was when making a call the edge was actually uncomfortable on my ear on long calls. I'd already ordered a bumper and now that it's on it definately improves things while still keeping that sense of high end, high quality materials and design.

11. stevearm macrumors 6502a

The curved plastic of the 3G/S made for sweaty palms after prolonged use.

No longer.

12. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Good to know. It's nice to hear some positive feedback after weeding through all the harsh criticism. Thx.

13. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

And cracks. I have cracks by the silent switch, volume rocker and the dock connector on a phone that's never been dropped or handled rough.

14. Apple iMe macrumors newbie

I didnt think I would , but I prefer it. I have a more substantial grip whereas the 3GS felt more like a bar of soap in my hand. Your hands and fingers would rock over the curves making it more likely to get dropped.

15. Reser macrumors 6502

I love the feel of the Iphone 4, when I hold my Iphone 3GS now it just feels cheep and nasty and plasticky. As Apple said, the Iphone 4 feels like an expensive camera. also as other people have stated the 3GS's plastic curved back makes for sweaty parms.

Deffinatly prefer the Iphone 4, one of the best parts is how it feels and looks.

Sorry but I think you are probably one of the only ones with that problem, My 3GS is in perfect condition, not a crack in sight, as is my mums, and every other used Iphone 3GS I have seen, You must really hammer the buttons to crack that plastic..

16. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yes, better to not drop the soap.

17. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You've been around since Apr '10 and your going to tell me I'm the only one with problem? Many people reported it with white ones only weeks after the release of the 3gs. Do a search of this forum before you tell me I'm the only one to have this happen..

18. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Ahh. Now the palm treo felt good in the hand......:D:D:p

19. bluush thread starter macrumors 6502

Well iPhone4 is thinner but not by that much. The 3G simply fit better in my hand, the extra girth was more of a help not a hinderance.