Love my 6+ more now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 11bE5, Dec 31, 2014.

1. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

So I had great thing happen to me the other day. So I'm currently almost paid off on my 6+ via T-Mobile's jump program and I decided that I wanted to see of they would let me unlock it, because once I leave my area for vacation or to visit family my service drops of completely. Well, the lady I spoke to was awesome and she submitted my request for unlock and advised me that because the phone wasn't paid off just yet the since I just purchased it there were no guarantees. I just received my email that my iPhone was approved for unlock and now is unlocked. I popped in a straight talk ATT nano Sim and now I have service when I go out of town. Very happy right now:) thank you Apple and T-Mobile.

2. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

3. the caveman macrumors 6502

No, they are not
    No, they are not.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No they are unlocked

Attached Files:

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's not for jump or next program.

The rep allowed the OP to unlock it because he's almost paid off his 6+ through T-Mobile's jump.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

For those unaware, Jump is Like AT&T's "next" and Verizon's "Edge". You can only get "Jump" devices through TMobile though. For whatever reason (I am sure agreements or lack thereof) Apple has chosen not to offer TMO "Jump" as an option in their stores. The only option Apple allows is unlocked at full retail.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Just upgraded to a 6 Plus yesterday and apparently now Apple Stores can process full EIP T-Mobile upgrades in store. Unlike the Tmobile store they're unlocked as well. I confirmed it yesterday by putting an AT&T SIM card in my 6 Plus. So I was able to walk out with a 64GB unlocked 6 Plus for $99 plus tax. Needless to say I'll be buying all of my phones through Apple from now on.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's amazing! Must be new! Wonder what the holdup was in starting this. Even more amazing that the phones are unlocked!

Never really understaood the logic behind the unwillingess to unlock (by all carriers) until a phone or contract is paid off. A locked phone is my incentive? Really? I can get it unlocked generally for much less than my ETF or whatever I owe on the device. If my plan was to unlock and bail I can still probably do that unless I only have very few months left on said contract/payments.

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If I am not mistaken, there is still no requirement for anyone carrier to unlock if there is a debt owed to them on said device.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

I guess it's the fear of resellers buying them on contract and probably bailing on the bill or just reselling them overseas with no intention of using the carrier's service. They probably figured that if they keep it locked for the duration of the contract then the customer is more likely to stay and pay the bill for 2 years.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's the silly thing. It costs like $50 to get an iPhone unlocked. So really, if my plan was to do this, I would simply make $50 less.

Then there is the fact that my credit will be pooped on.

I don't think you're wrong, but it's kind of stupid if you ask me. Remember when AT&T would flat out just refuse to unlock iPhones, PERIOD?

13. the caveman macrumors 6502

The question was, arent ALL tmobile phones unlocked? So, to paraphrase that, ALL includes all phones that mobiles carries which happen to be a number of other brands besided the IPhone.

Also, I am well aware that the tmobile iPhone, if purchased throught Apple, is unlocked, there has been a plethora of threads in this. But thanks for pointingnit out though

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

Oh yeah I remember those days were painful. Jailbreaking and such trying to use software unlocks or paying obscene amounts of money for factory unlocked phones through eBay. The US carriers have made a lot of progress just by allowing unlocks at all now. Hopefully at some point all phones will just be sold unlocked.