iPad Love My Air - trading in iPad 1 - What to get for 2nd Unit, or Non Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nostresshere, Nov 6, 2013.

1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Just got an Ipad Air. Love it. Really nice.

Was going to keep our original Ipad1 for wife and grandchild. Now that Target will give me $200 for it, thinking I need to go ahead and get something newer/better.

Original thought was IpadAir 16
    But, maybe the Mini
    Or should I just get something else like Kindle, or other basic tablets.

Will just be used for maybe movies, reading, basic stuff. We have latest Iphones, so that covers lots of stuff.

Hmmmm

Between love of new Ipad Air and Target giving $200 for the original. Hmmmm

2. tehBrad macrumors regular

Old mini would suffice and would only be $99 w/ trade-in

3. dulaney22 macrumors regular

I would stick with Apple . . . so either the Mini or the Air.

I've had every kind of Kindle, android, blackberry lol . . . Apple makes the best tablet. I'm not even talking about the ecosystem either, it's just a simpler, more responsive and finished/polished experience.

I'm far from an Apple fanboy. Haven't bought an iphone since the 4s and wish Apple would dominate that market again . . . maybe with 6, who knows? However, for tablets, they got a lot right with the original and every iteration has moved closer to perfection. With the air, I can't imagine anything I'd change on it. Yeah, more ram blah blah blah but it does what I want in a package that's unrivaled.

4. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

You said you have a grandchild, so you're old enough to know better. If you buy the latest and greatest for yourself, and get your wife some bargain bin Kindle, you'll be in trouble. Even if she's not a techie, someone in your family will say, "Why didn't you get an iPad?" :D

The original Mini doesn't work well with iOS 7, but one poster reported that the new space grey Mini performed better than his original Mini. The Air is better for reading, as the text is larger than the Mini. If it's for use at home, the Mini's smaller size won't be much of an advantage.

P.S. I agree with what Dulaney posted above. ;)

5. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

6. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Kf hdx?

Air & Mini would be a great mix. However, I find I use my Kindle Fire a lot. And the new HDX is pretty good, for the price.

Pro
    - Download Amazon Prime videos, for offline viewing (great for flights & road trips)
    - Cheap (got my 64gb model for ~$250, with discounts they had and will have again). And 64gb is great for downloading videos
    - Small & light
    - Durable (Have cracked screens on many iPhones & iPads, but never Kindle). They seem to bounce, vs break... great, if you have kids
    - Has most of the apps I need

Cons
    - Many iPad apps not available here
    - Silk sucks, vs Safari... but it's useable

Overall, it's a media consumption and basic net/app device for me. Still need an iPad, but I actually wind up bringing Kindle Fire on trips... especially with the new availability to download Prime videos, for free. Yeah, I could spent a couple hours downloading videos from questionable sources, and converting them. But it's a lot easier to select a dozen or so, in about 5mins, the night before I leave for a trip.

Choosing a primary, it'd be an iPad. Choosing a backup, KF works for me.