Love my new MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mfldmike, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mfldmike macrumors regular

Let me start off by saying that I used to be a die-hard Windows user...that is until one day (1 1/2 year ago) I decided that I had enough of Windows and purchased my first ever Mac. I went all out and got the early 2010 Macbook Pro and upgraded the RAM to 8GB. The thing was/is amazingly fast, easy to use, and "just works."

I went into my local Best Buy yesterday to look at the new MBA 11" because I wanted something that was ultra-portable and tablets just don't do it for me. After spending some time with it in the store I decided to buy it.

I got the MacBook Air 11" 4GB SM128C SSD

I couldn't be happier with this thing...I thought it would be WAY underpowered but it's snappier than my trusty MacBook Pro! MSWord opens faster and so does Keynote. I also used the mini-display-->HDMI cable to connect it to my 46" LED to watch a movie and it was fantastic!

The ONLY thing that doesn't feel right to me is the Keyboard...I just don't like the travel of the keys and how they feel stiff. I'm sure I will get used to it. I also don't miss the SuperDrive anymore, heck, I can't think of a time when I used it.

This thing is amazingly thin, yet it feels sturdy and durable...everybody wants to look at the thing.

I'm really happy with my purchase, and can't believe 2 years ago I wouldn't even look at a Mac.

2. richard371 macrumors 68000

I couldn't have said it better. I have the same model and it is the best computer I have ever owned. I had the 2010 base version and it was still fast enough. I decided I needed more ram for the multiple desktops in lion and I installed Fusion with Win 7. the 128SSD is a nice upgrade from the 64 I also got the hdmi cable and watched an iTunes rental on my 55" samsung in 1080p. Looked great and it even passed through Dolby Digital 5.1 to my Denon receiver. I don't play games so the Intel 3000 is good enough for me. Since the 11" airs were released the iPad collects dust. I just don't care for tablets even thought they have better batter life.

3. mfldmike thread starter macrumors regular

Sometimes I really hate Best Buy and if there were an Apple Store around me I would go there. The only "hiccup" to my day yesterday was the following:

I knew about the difference of the SSD's when I walked into my Best Buy, they actually agreed to let me pick the correct one, and would open them until I did.

It was going good until one of the girls decided she was an "Apple Expert" and said the only way she would allow me to open them up if I didn't go through the "registration process."

She then thought she had the upper-hand because she said there was no way to find out the SSD manufacturer without going into the system profiler and that wasn't going to happen unless I fully registered the computer. I basically told her she was full-o-*** and proceeded to show her that I could boot up into the recovery partition and pull up system profiler through terminal without registering the device.

Either way, they happened to grab one that had the Samsung manufactured drive, and I walked out of the store a happy camper. Needless to say, I think I embarrassed that poor girl in front of all her little colleagues...there is nothing I hate worse than when a person acts like that, and I was more than happy to knock her down a few pegs.

I wish I had a camera because the look on her face was priceless...

4. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

Luckily, my iPad doesn't collect dust since I got my 2011 MBA, but I do wonder if my wife playing Words with Friends 4 hours a night on it was what I had in mind upon purchase :D

5. The Bronx Bull macrumors member

A little overkill. You're "that guy". They shouldn't have let you open them in the first place. I know for certain I wouldn't want to be getting an opened box just because the guy before me had 'internet phenomenon disease' paired with ocd.

6. mfldmike thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I'm "that" guy...and "you're" the guy who seems happy with the mediocre. If you actually read my post you would notice that it took ONE....

It seems to me that your the one with OCD...the fear of getting an "open box" even though it would've been on for all of 2 min...without even being registered. Is it the feeling of the static cling to the plastic surrounding it that you would've missed, or the satisfaction in hearing the tearing of the security tape around it?

You know where to go buddy...

7. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Haha, excellent story. I get you 100%!

I quit counting the number of times I have been in this kind of situation (your side, not hers :D). Too many people have built up such a personality over the years that they're certain they know a whole lot in their field of work, that nobody, especially not customers, could teach or correct them. The same kind of people who stopped learning once they deemed they knew enough. Head "full" of outdated and/or incorrect information (the older the person, the crustier the stubbornly stored mis-/information). I can't stand them.

Regardless of the level of expertise, one should always keep open-minded, question themselves and keep on learning and keeping up to date, no excuse.