Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I just got a powermac g5 dual processor 1.8ghz, 1 gb ram, 80gb hard drive, for $400 CAD!!! I love this thing! Im using it as my main computer, and it runs circles around my dual 800mhz quicksilver!!! People say that the powermac g5's are no good, but I think they are amazing!!! They handle iLife and iWork 09' perfectly! This rant is just to tell everyone how good my new g5 is! :)

Toronto Mike

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
Toronto
I love my dual 2.0 G5 that I bought used last May so I know how excited you must be.

I've decided to dig my heels in and stay on CS2 for many many years because I feel this is a solid performer with Tiger. I would rather learn the software I have more thoroughly at this point than worry about what is currently on offer.

Actually, I take that back - I'm always excited about what is rolling out, but I cannot justify spending the money for a new Mac Pro. My jaw dropped when I was looking at the prices in $CDN - add the cost of the CS4 upgrade and it's mind boggling to spend that kind of cash for what I use my machine for.

I wish they could bring a tower out for $1,700, room for 2x HDs, easily upgradable graphic card, and something greater than 8GB of ram. I'd would definately rethink my future upgrade strategy.

As it stands, I do think the G5s are great values right now if you can get the right ones and use the older software.

Mike

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
Congrats! For $140 I upped my ram to 4GB from newegg. And i got lucky that the previous owner already put in the Ati X800XT. Its wicked fast for me. I'm coming off a 1.42 mini with 1gb ram, so the Dual 1.8 G5s are a huge leap for me.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I miss my 2.0 dual core Powermac G5. I agree, G5s are a great bargain now. Love my quad. Has 7 gigs of ram and it ran great even before the ram upgrade. What is fascinating is that Apple has worked out any of the software bugs that the G5s had previously. Powermac G5s are stable, fast and amazing machines and finally affordable.

By the way, I run my G5s on the highest CPU settings instead of automatic. When I had my 1.8ghz G5, I learned this secret...

Toronto Mike

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
Toronto
I miss my 2.0 dual core Powermac G5. I agree, G5s are a great bargain now. Love my quad. Has 7 gigs of ram and it ran great even before the ram upgrade. What is fascinating is that Apple has worked out any of the software bugs that the G5s had previously. Powermac G5s are stable, fast and amazing machines and finally affordable.

By the way, I run my G5s on the highest CPU settings instead of automatic. When I had my 1.8ghz G5, I learned this secret...

What is the secret? Can I make my dual 2.0 go faster?

Mike

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
What is the secret? Can I make my dual 2.0 go faster?

Mike

Just make sure that under energy settings in system preferences that you have CPU performance set to Highest over Automatic. This will help boost your Power Mac G5's performance Toronto Mike. :)

P.S.- Glad that you are liking your RAM California. :)

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Does the highest setting make a big difference over automatic? I dont want my powermac to overheat or something :)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Does the highest setting make a big difference over automatic? I dont want my powermac to overheat or something :)

You are overridding the system CPU downclock for when the system thinks you don't need to access the total CPU power.

I actually did this because I noticed the fans would run up and down on the 1.8ghz single G5 I had as it adjusted to whatever I was doing on my Powermac. It was more of a fan issue for me than power, but solved both when you override the automatic settings. Every Powermac I've owned since is quiet as a mouse. And powerful.

Just keep you case insides clean of dust. I truly think this is one of the biggest problems with them and an easy fix. Dust buildup also equals heat buildup.

I first saw this CPU automatic underclock when I bought a two year old 1 ghz Titanium Powerbook a few years back. I had Daystar's application that pushed the system to maximum CPU and was alarmed that the 1ghz Tibook was only running at 667mhz most of the time. Apple explained that automatic thing to me -- on the Tibooks heat was a big issue (that last model had two fans instead of one on the previous models because of this). I solved the Powerbook issue with the Daystar software and an elevated stand to keep the air circulating.

With the G5s, Apple was still worried about heat issues as we all know. What is great for us G5 owners now is it seems a lot of the issues have been worked out with software updates. My PM G5s run cooler now than before, quieter now and yes ram and better video cards also help. This is why they are such a good bargain, IMHO.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
I'm doing the same right now to my 2.0 Dual G5. So far, it seems a bit snappier opening files, and reacting to mouse actions (clicks, etc.).

This is a great tip!

Edit to add: By the way, I've got 5.5GB RAM on mine. We'll see how much improvement there is when I'm processing images in Photoshop and handling large illustrations in Illustrator (it always seems to lag a bit with large Illustrator files).

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
I just got a powermac g5 dual processor 1.8ghz, 1 gb ram, 80gb hard drive, for $400 CAD!!! I love this thing! Im using it as my main computer, and it runs circles around my dual 800mhz quicksilver!!! People say that the powermac g5's are no good, but I think they are amazing!!! They handle iLife and iWork 09' perfectly! This rant is just to tell everyone how good my new g5 is! :)

yay! :)

what's the geekbench score?

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Let us know. How much ram again do you have maximum in that G5?

I just got it yesterday, and it came with 1GB ram(2 x 512). I plan on buying 2GB(2 x 1GB) sticks pretty soon. Everywhere I look, its like 90$ for 2 1GB sticks. Does anyone know where to get them cheaper(in Canada)? Thanks.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I got 1581 with the 1Gb ram and dual 1.8 processors. Im perfectly happy with mine. What do current intel Mac's get?

Toronto Mike

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
Toronto
Just make sure that under energy settings in system preferences that you have CPU performance set to Highest over Automatic. This will help boost your Power Mac G5's performance Toronto Mike. :)

Thank you for that tip. When I checked out the setting, it was already on the "Highest" setting. I bought by machine used, so I guess the previous owner knew what he was doing.

I am hoping that when Snow Leopard comes out, that the last of the ppc G5 hold outs will want to make the jump to Intel. I am patiently waiting to pick up an identical G5 as a back up/spare parts machine for a very good price. I am so impressed with what this machine can do on my existing software that it'll be interesting how long I stay where I am without upgrading.

Mike

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
PowerMac Dual 2.0 G5 / 5.5GB RAM GeekBench results: 1741

Not bad. Though I've seen some of the 2008 MacPros come in in the 8500 range or better. Those were 8-core computers.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
PowerMac Dual 2.0 G5 / 5.5GB RAM GeekBench results: 1741

Not bad. Though I've seen some of the 2008 MacPros come in in the 8500 range or better. Those were 8-core computers.

Re: Geekbench scores... the ram on those scores for G5s is usually 512mb...

not really a good indication IMHO.

With 7 gigs in a Quad, I am sailing past most intels I've used.

Toronto Mike

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
Toronto
It makes me wonder what I am missing when I see the just recent Mac Pros post scores that are over 4x what I currently have. Yet, it really comes down to what work you need to do with which software you need to do it with that counts in the end.

I try not to get too caught up in the how far behind my G5 is now. I'll focus on learning what my current software is capable of. That should keep me busy for the next five years at least.

Mike

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
I've decided to dig my heels in and stay on CS2 for many many years because I feel this is a solid performer with Tiger. I would rather learn the software I have more thoroughly at this point than worry about what is currently on offer.

This is an excellent attitude to have, and one I wish more creative types that also use lots of tech in their work would have.
Good job.:D

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Awesome dude! I'm waiting to pop money on a G5 Quad when they get even cheaper on the used market. I just want a G5 just to have one. :D

There are always those who get the latest and greatest, and there are those who wait and get it used/cheap, and it becomes their "latest and greatest". Even though you lag behind in the times, it's "much faster" to you, due to your old previous machine that's probably much slower. ;)

I always loved G5s when I used them years ago (damn has it been that long?! :rolleyes:). Although I still love my Mac Pro...

Toronto Mike

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2008
Toronto
I think what changed my attitude about how to view all this change is the book, "Professional Photoshop" by Dan Marguils. The density of excellent knowledge contained within this book, and the required period to absorb and apply this would take years of hard work and practice. Dan states himself that most of what he explains can be done with Photoshop 7, only a few of his more cutting edge ideas use the newer features found in CS2. What makes Dan so interesting is that his focus is on the ideas of how to make an image look better - much of which can be found utilizing the tools we already have in new and different ways - like a shift in consciousness

Thinking of many of our great 20th century artists. They were using tools that have been in use for hundreds of years. Raphael was using the same chalk over 400 years ago that you can go down to any serious art store and purchase for $3.00 a stick.

So much of what takes place in our computers needs to take place between our ears.

Mike

ps - This thread is almost turning into a G5 lovefest amidst the rejoicing of our Mac Pro brothers

nüb

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
I'm debating getting rid of my G5 for a new MacPro. What are peoples' thoughts??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.