Love My Watch but...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iBreatheApple, May 27, 2015.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I don't use it. It sits on my wrist and I use it for nothing but the time. I thought for sure I'd always be on it. I think this is one of the reasons that my battery life is 'so good'...

I'm not sending it back or anything, but I just don't use it. Anyone else surprisingly feel the same?

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

For me it's 95% about notifications, and I love that about it. Are you not setup to get them?

3. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Okay, I do use it for notifications. Those are nice. But I'm almost never on it, navigating the UI or using 'apps'... I guess I just thought I'd be touching it more. Nice perspective.

4. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

It's a watch so time is the primary purpose.

Notifications are cool and well integrated.

The next feature of course is the health but. Do more of that and you will feel more involved with it (and you will feel better).

It's not for watching videos on, you would get tired of that quickly on a small screen.

It's not for video games... ditto.

It's for brief interactions, even when the native watch apps come, the fully involved ones will fail because it's designed for brief interactions.

Use it like a watch that has some great extra features but don't expect something unrealistic.

The beauty of this thing I see in many ways that people report they are irritated about... it doesn't stay on long enough, it doesn't do x - so forth. The Watch timings and features have been scheduled around what is useful once you have accepted what it does and not a glory period of toying with it.. then getting bored and looking for something else..

Keep using it let it be and it will reveal itself as worthwhile.

5. gusping macrumors 6502

Felt the same and I paid £600 so I took it back. I'd pay £200 for notifications but no more. The other features are ok that's about it. Plus all the apps are super laggy.

6. JnDRader macrumors regular

Don't get mine until tomorrow but all I want is a watch that can alert me to notifications without taking out my phone and do a passable job as a HRM. Hopefully it works out as I'm expecting.

And honestly, they had me at the Mickey watch face lol!

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

So, you pretty much thought it would be a tiny iPhone?

Because I think that's what is disappointing for the people who don't like the watch.

I always assumed it would just give me notifications, weather, tell time, let me send brief texts, answer calls when my phone was out of reach, use fitness info/tracking, use ApplePay, etc.

That's all I expected and it does all of that.

8. Subdiv macrumors 6502

I'm interested in what comes out of Google I/O this week. They're apparently working on compatibility between the iPhone and Android Wear...and the Moto 360 v2 will likely be announced. Might be the best way to get notifications in the price range you're talking about...and (blasphemy!) I have always liked the appearance of the 360. Not a big fan of square watches...

9. germanguy macrumors regular

Synced a playlist with my watch and listened over powerbeats2 Bluetooth headphones during my workout today. Absolutely awesome.

10. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Watch OS 1.0.1 update sped up all apps- Both Apple made and 3rd party- quite a bit. Not sure if you held on to it long enough to compare the two (not that I think this would change anyone's mind who's on the fence with the Watch.

I'm in a similar camp with iamasmith and bunnicula for what I "expected" from the Watch, thus the reasons I love my Watch so much. I think Bunnicula may have said it best, that the majority of people who are disappointed with the Watch were expecting a mini iPhone. I'd also argue that if that was indeed what we got, it would be a terrible product that no one would get any use from in reality.

And last, to loop back to the OP, in reality you would never want to "always be on it" (and again I'd argue using that language supports the idea that you had expectations for it to be a mini iPhone- I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being on their watch all the time :) ). You were/are far from alone having held that expectation, so not knocking you at all. But, have you held your wrist up for an extended period of time showing off a bunch of the Watches features to someone? It gets really uncomfortable really quick. If you haven't, do that once or twice and you'll right away understand why the Watch is made specifically for very quick/brief interactions and glances.

11. daydayvol macrumors regular

I am getting the watch primarily for it being a watch. I like watches and it looks really good IMO. The notifications and everything is just a bonus to me. I will definitely utilize the health integration of the watch. That was a another selling point for me. I can finally take this Fitbit off my wrist.

12. HussRainbow macrumors regular

HussRainbow

I thought to myself that i'd feel bad if I wasn't constantly checking things on the watch, but its really just a great extension of the phone, its great at work if im in a meeting and I get messages and other notifications without getting out my Plus and annoying people around me. Also its damn pretty to look at!

very happy here!

13. chillg8r macrumors regular

chillg8r

FWIW I'm with CellX, iamasmith and bunnicula. It is a great watch that makes my iphone life a little better. My phone spends a lot more time in my pocket whcih I am happy about.

Ive heard it said that "expectations are a setup for failure". I've accepted, and chosen my watch for what it is and am very happy with it.

14. Mumbles01 macrumors regular

It's a watch first.

Though I don't have mine yet the only few things I really plan on using it for are
    •Watch as an accessory
    • music/fitness tracking in the gym
    • & to quickly glance at my available bank balance.

Other then that I really don't plan on downloading any apps. Especially games.

People expected way to much out of this new device. & honestly I sorta laugh (not specifically at you OP) but those who bought it thinking they were going to be on it constantly.

15. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

One thing the watch revealed to me is how much I use my iPhone for just the little things. Sure, it has all kinds of time wasters on it and other beefier utilities. But day to day, it is mostly for getting calls, emails and texts. Now that I have the watch, I can almost go the whole day without picking up the phone and leave it in the backpack or jacket pocket. Check the time? watch. Check for an email? watch. Check for or reply to a text? watch. Get a weather alert about tstorms rolling in? watch. Kick off MapMyRun for a walk? watch. Volume up/down switch a music track for portable bluetooth speaker or IEMs? watch. Mark a waypoint via MotionGPS? watch.
    Obviously everyone's usage scenario will be different. But if you give it a chance, you might find that your watch becomes the go to device 80% of the time and the phone (and iPad) are only for 'bigger' needs. Or maybe not. But for me it has been very liberating and I won't go back to hauling the phone out for every little thing again. YMMV.

16. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

My various uses for my Apple Watch in no particular order (I got it on launch day):

Time telling
    Notifications
    Siri
    Health/sensors
    quick snippets of info from other apps (i.e. Deliveries so I know where my packages are)

It was actually quite a learning experience because I never wore a Watch before the Apple Watch. I was afraid I was going to leave it on my nightstand too since I always thought watches were uncomfortable (thats why I didn't order AppleCare at first, got it within the first week though). After just having it 2-3 days though I fell in love with it. I put it on before I walk out of my room in the morning and put it back on the charger when I return.

I'd dare to say that for the little things, I use my Watch more then my phone. Even when I go somewhere (just into another room, or to the store) I forget my phone sometimes because I'm so used to my Watch and I have to go back and get it. I can just leave my phone on the table and not carry with my everywhere around my house worried I might miss a notification or call; I have my watch for that.

17. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

That's good. That means you're doing it right. The Apple Watch wasn't meant to be a distraction. You don't need to be "on it" for long periods of time. It is for quick and convenient glances of information or tasks. It was never meant to be another screen to stare at for hours. You should only be looking at it for seconds at a time, when you need to see or do something which would save time by not having to get your phone out and unlock it.

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Don't think of any smart watch as a mini-iPhone. A watch is simply too small to use for "apps". Think of it as a small second screen for your phone for at-a-glance notifications and other quick looks. Apple, LG, Moto, Samsung, Asus, Pebble... they're for notifications and the like. Not as a platform for working with apps for more than 2-3 seconds at a time.

Now, whether that's worth the price or not, that's for you to decide.

19. anez macrumors 6502

anez

I don't know whether Apple dropped the ball in communicating the limitations of the Watch or people simply wanted it to be something more so badly that they raised their expectations all on their own, but I think this is the reason behind 90% of the dissatisfaction I've seen on here.

The reported issues with the intended, publicized functions of the Watch (apps being laggy, inconsistent HR monitoring, etc.) are irritating to all, but I haven't seen many people say they're going to return or sell the Watch because of them. Conversely, a huge number of people are disappointed enough to get rid of theirs because it failed to engage or excite them in some way-- for basically not being "a tiny iPhone".

I feel if people had been more aware of what the Watch can and can't do before purchase, there'd be both fewer purchases and fewer returns.

20. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

I use it for my workout. I have already lost over 6 lbs since I got the watch on the launch day. I cannot live without it. I love it so much, but I realize it is not for everyone.

21. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

This.

There was another thread shortly after launch day with people thrown off by this… Unlike most Apple products the watch is not a gadget that you sit there and play with on its own. It is not meant to stand alone. It is not meant for you to be on there using different apps and passing your time. It's a gadget that's largely meant to be ignored until it's giving you a select notification, then it goes back to being ignored. For me that is actually more than enough utility, but I can understand why some people won't go for it.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I see so many people who actually carry their phone in their hands all day so I also wondered what purpose the watch would serve for them.

I like because I can check the stock market and my stocks all the time without pulling out the phone. Siri works well for me with messages.

Give it some more time and see if you find more reasons to use it.

23. rosario1990 macrumors regular

24. Lictor macrumors 6502

Wait for the WWDC and 3rd party will speed up enormously. Right now, most of the apps execute on the iPhone, only the GUI is transfered to the Watch through Bluetooth. That's why it's so laggy.

WWDC should deliver the SDK to make native watch applications. So they will be able to run directly on the watch. The Watch has around the processing power of a 4S with half the RAM but a much smaller screen, applications should run reasonably well (like Apple apps).
    Moreover, the SDK should open access to the sensors and that should open a whole lot of very interesting apps...

25. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The SDK will not come now, but later this year. Best case scenario is that developers get a preview in June and the final release by the end of the year. Do not expect to see native apps before that timeframe.