Love Poem Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by appledyl, Jan 8, 2010.

1. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

Hello. I am 14 and have been in love with a certain special someone for like 7 months. We're pretty good friends, and I have given her a present (for christmas) before. But for valentine's day I want to do something more special. I want to write a love poem for her. In the poem should I write more in the terms of "i love you", "i admire you" or "i like you"? Also, if I give her the poem will she think i'm creepy or will she think its nice? please. all advice accepted. thanks! :D :apple:

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I'm guessing she would be kinda creeped out by it. Does she already know that you like her?

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I played it safe. The only time I wrote a poem for my girlfriend was when we together. I wouldn't think they're good to create a relationship with, they seem like something you'd create for a relationship.

4. WatchSmart macrumors member

Write a love poem for her and keep it to yourself. If you do get together later you can show it to her. You can both feel happy and nostalgic about the old days. She'll like that more than if you give her a creepy poem before you start dating.

And, by the way, I don't mean that you should show it to her a week after your first date...

5. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Also in the poem, please refrain from using the word "beautiful". I heard somewhere that only very well established poets should use that word, and only in three poems. haha.

Seriously though, it's so over-used and cliche'.

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

If someone gave me a poem to tell my how they felt I'd cringe and die on the inside.

My ex sent me a poem about a week after we started dating. He was smart enough to look out a poem by a professional poet, but I still cringed. Looking back on it later it was quite nice though :rolleyes:

7. ethical macrumors 68000

Definitely agree with the others mate. I've got no personal experience with poems because I'm linguistically challenged in that area, but I don't think it's a good idea.

Use Valentines Day as a chance to make her feel special in a way that doesn't say "I dream about you then write it down and keep it in a special book". Just invite her out for a meal and make her feel special with the cliche flowers and stuff. But definitely make sure she likes you before you put yourself out there too much. And don't tell her you love her straight away.

Best of luck :)

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Give her a poem if you want to only admire her from afar.

9. appledyl thread starter macrumors regular

appledyl

okay thanks for the advice. so: no love poem until later. So what should I do for her on Valentine's Day??

10. ethical macrumors 68000

Serenade her with a love song all about her. Much less weird....but you'd have to learn to play guitar.

Seriously though, just invite her round for dinner, and you cook. You can make it romantic. Bottle of wine, some candles if you're feeling cheesy, and just chat.

EDIT: Just realised you said you're 14, so cooking dinner and having wine is probably out of the question. Invite her over and get your mum to order Dominos. Definite win.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

A traditional love poem that vaguely translates to something along the lines of "you make me all squooshy" is probably not a good idea. You should write that poem, read it back to yourself and set it where you will remember to burn it. Then write the longest poem you can that expresses how great you think she is and compare it to the first poem. Start by taking out the parts that are similar. Then look at what you have left and see how you can back yourself out from it (like changing "you set me on fire" to "you light up the room") without making it totally impersonal. You will end up with six lines of true poetry and three pages to burn (essential to do it on paper).

Get an opinion from some anonymous girl, the price chocolate.