Love the 11" MBA-how do I use it with primary iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by driphone, Oct 28, 2010.

1. driphone macrumors regular

I love the small foot print & great portability of the new MBA 11" but I am not sure how I can get around the storage issue since I keep lots of home multimedia files on my laptop. I do have a recent iMac with lots of storage in our basement and do have the Mobile me account. Can someone suggest a practical way of setting up these machines so the processed data thru the MBA can end up in iMac for storage and later access?

TIA.

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Setup drive sharing in the Sharing control panel and share your hard drive from the iMac over the WiFi network, then save your files over WiFi to the iMac hard drive, they will be on your iMac when you are ready to use them to work, edit, or print them. Simple Disk Drive sharing has traditionally been a part of AppleShare on the Mac since about 1986.

3. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Share your iPhoto and iTunes to the local network? Use drop box to sync documents.

4. driphone thread starter macrumors regular

Thank all you for your help. I did start playing with the file sharing and moved my laptop's 26 GB photo library to the iMac and in the past I have shared the iPhotos via WiFi network under iPhoto.

Can I import pics/movies thru the MBA and have it automatically save them on the iMac? basically the data to be automatically stored on the iMac and MBA to act as a terminal and always refer to the iMac.

And how difficult is the server set up option?

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

unfortunately you can't import to iphoto and sync back to the other computer afaik.. they may add something like they did to itunes?

I actually haven't even checked, did the new airs come with the new ilife?