Love the 2016 rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wyatt76, Jan 2, 2017.

1. wyatt76 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just wanted to write a quick review on the rMB 2016 I bought a few weeks ago. I ended up getting the highest end model, M7 processor, 512 MB, 8 gb Ram.

First of all I love how portable it is. It's quickly become my most used computer. I also have a very fast computer, and lenovo laptop, but I find myself using this new Macbook most often now. The only time I've been using my laptop/computer now is for video games. I love how well the rMB fits on my lap just about anywhere.

I really like the keyboard, and track pad. I thought I wasn't going to like the keyboard, but now I love it! I actually feel weird going back to my laptop or computer keyboard, because all the travel they have just seems excessive now. The track pad is really cool, it's pretty trippy how when rMB is off, it doesn't even click.

The screen is absolutely beautiful, and the speakers are great. Comparing it to my gfs macbook air, I'm glad I spent the extra money on the rMB, it's just a much better looking machine. On the Air I feel like I'm on an old clunky rig, and the screen is horrid in comparison.

Onto it's performance.. I think it's a bit strange how many bad reviews I've read on the performance of the rMB, because there isn't anything I've had trouble with on this machine. I've started editing all my 1080p videos on here with no issues at all. No buffering, runs smooth as butter ( I'm using Final Cut Pro X) Been using Photoshop with absolutely no issues either. Can run many tabs on the internet while doing other tasks with no problems either. Those are the things I've mainly been doing on here, other than some word documents and email as well.

I'm just very impressed with this machine, and I think anyone hesitating to buy it, listen to reviews of people who have purchased it, and not just making assumptions off its specs.

The only cons I have are that, the screen attracts dust pretty easily. It gets a little warm during times I'm doing ALOT, but even then it's still cooler than my lenovo.

All in all I'm very happy with the 2016 rMB, and it has become my go to machine now for just about everything other than gaming.

2. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

Yea the m7 is pretty dope

3. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

How about the M5 in comparison?

4. Gpulvi, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

Gpulvi macrumors member

Gpulvi

I've received mine yesterday, 2016 M5, just finished setting up last night and today I'll take it to work.
    Give me a couple of days and I'll post a full review.
    As far as I can tell, it works great, did a fresh install of Sierra, then installed all my apps (iWork suite, some utilities like Archiver and Tuxera, Photoshop, Audition, Aegisub and a video converter), downloaded all my music, set up Photos, and I'm really happy with it.
    Keyboard feels a little uncomfortable at the moment, but I think I'll get used to it.
    No issues with the "one port" thing. Bought the Apple digital adapter, a Nonda mini USB-C to USB, a 32 GB dual SanDisk thumb drive and a Minix Hub, so I'm covered :)

5. Cristim74 macrumors member

Cristim74

I got the m7/512Mb as well. Very happy with it so far.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I love my 2016 m7/512 rMB! Bought it back in August and it is just terrific for my purposes both around home and for traveling.

7. DaMax85 macrumors member

I bought the base model rMB over a month ago and I absolutely love it. I was hesitant at first because so many reviews call it "overpriced and underpowered." But I'll bet it becomes more popular once Apple drops the price. I was lucky -- got an "Open Box Deal" at Best Buy for $1,036 on Cyber Monday -- so I jumped on it. I have yet to edit any videos on here but I am happy to hear you've had a good experience so far.

8. Gpulvi macrumors member

Gpulvi

Finally arrived at home from my first "MacBook day" at work. First of all, I work in a TV content producer, so my work is mainly text, subtitling and watching video (video editing and conversion are made in a 21.5 inch iMac I have in my desktop).
    So, after everyone lift it, touched it, played with it and exclaimed "Oh, it's so thin / light / beautiful", the little M5 MacBook started to work.
    Did some Photoshop editing working with templates, Word, Numbers, music on iTunes or YouTube on Safari, a couple of calls via iPhone, WhatsApp and Telegram also opened, GarageBand downloading extra content... It all went fine, no hiccups or sluggish moments, battery life was great, arrived at home with 52% (brightness 3/10 and no keyboard backlight). Took with me a Nonda mini adapter and a dual SanDisk thumb drive, also formatted an external disk using Tuxera NTFS.
    I'm really happy with my purchase, no regrets coming from a 15'' Pro, and it's so light and portable that I'll take it with me everyday.

9. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Sold my 2014 rMBP 13 inch after using my m5 for a day!!! For what I use it for, it is perfect. So light. Screen is great. Keyboard takes about 10 minutes to get used to. It's nice to have a leading edge product.

10. Praxeus macrumors newbie

Praxeus

Most people here would probably call me crazy, but I just returned a Touch Bar 13in MacBook Pro for a 2016 M5 Macbook. The keyboard on the Pro is better (and of course it is faster) but for portability sake, you just cannot beat the MacBook. Great computer.

11. fisherking, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i have to admit, i've kept my pro (for logic X and final cut X), but... for 80% of the time, i am using the 2016 MB, and it's my favorite mac ever (and i started with the incredible powerbook 2400c... google it).

it's fast enough for everything i use it for (web, mail, affinity photo, writing, etc) and i love carting it around nyc in a backpack. and can spend half-a-day at the local coffeebar with it... sans AC adapter (that's a lot of coffee tho).

12. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Macbook 12-2016 m3 user checking in.

Love it.

13. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

Can a new 2015 refurb rMB purchaser post here too?

This thing is phenomenal! I have the base model 2015 in silver and it's so awesome to have something so powerful that weights 2 pounds. I take it with me almost everywhere.

I still have my late 2013 15 inch rMBP but who knows for how long!

14. Jashanno macrumors newbie

Jashanno

Nice review.

I travel A LOT and most of the time I don't bother taking my 15 MacBook Pro because of its size. I bought a 9.7 iPad Pro, which is an awesome machine, but I haven't been able to do all of my work on it. I've been studying up on the MacBook as a replacement but I can't quite pull the trigger. I do think this will be the machine I pick up.

15. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Ended up not needing all the performance of my 2015 rMBP so got the 2016 m3 MB.
    So much lighter than the 15", and totally enough power for me (I think RAM and SSD matters much more than CPU for 99% of all people).

The only problem I've had so far is stuck keys sometimes. I hope the 2017 MB has the "improved keyboard" that the 2016 MBP got.

16. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

A while back I tried to make an iPad Mini my main travel machine. It actually came very close to meeting all needs (see linked review in my sig).
    I added one of those little keyboards at one point to create a sort of tiny laptop.

But in the end it was iOS that prevented full utility.

Only a desktop OS would do. Now with the Macbook 12 that ultra compact laptop has arrived.

I now have an iPad sized and weighted screen, with an attached keyboard, with a great desktop OS, with a fantastic battery life. :D

I carry it in a Tumi Sherman* crossbody bag. The built in padded iPad sleeve is just large enough for the MB12 lol.



* I've only ever seen this bag at the Tumi outlet (and ebay), not the main Tumi store, nor Tumi website.

17. Jashanno macrumors newbie

Jashanno

I agree. iOS is just a little limiting for me. I bought the keyboard and the pencil (for fun). I love it for media consumption, web browsing, etc. I use it all the time and give it an A+. However, when I need to do work I need a desktop os.

18. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Same here! love my iPads but in the end I really need the full OS and the 12" rMB does the job for me while being as lightweight and portable as an iPad, actually.....

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

Agee with all three of you. :) An iPad can never be my main computing because a lack of keyboard and iOS can't recognize storage drives. And iOS really is very limiting compared to OS X without question. I can drag and drop folders onto other folders while iOS needs iTunes to do so just to organize media files.

The third generation "12 MacBook is the one I shall wait for. Erica Griffin is a Macgirl and she loves her pink "12 MB too. The first two gens have the ideal footprint for me.

20. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

I am on a second hand - practically like new - m5 2015 since one month. Amazing machine!
    The best thing is that I travel with just a small sleeve to carry the macbook and iPad Pro 9.7 and the 12 W charger from the iPad. No need to carry the original macbook charger!

However, I have to admit that I see the "rainbow pizza" and the interface stuttering when I do intensive productivity work with:
    - more than 10 tabs open
    - mail and outlook running
    - the office suite up and running (word, power point and excel)
    - one drive and dropbox in the background

My mini i7 2011 at the office runs the setup above very smoothly. The big difference between the two machines is that the mini has 16 GB of RAM.

In all honesty, I am waiting for the third version of the macbook. I will sell the 2015 and buy the new one as soon as it comes out.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

The m5 is very good. There is a much more noticeable increase from the m3 to the m5 than from the m5 to the m7. This will become even more pronounced when the MacBook gets upgraded to Kaby Lake (the m5/m7 monikers will be replaced by Core i5/i7 but it will still be a low-voltage chip).

22. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I have just one complaint. Keyboard. I love butterfly switches, after I've got used to them, I'm typing really fast. But the problem is that keys get stuck and fail way too often. I've returned mine for 3 times to get the keyboard fixed, then sold the machine.

But after 3 months without rMB, I've ordered one once again. I hate myself :( :D

But the portability of this thing is simply awesome. And it does all the stuff I ask of it on the go. I use Unity3D and Corona SDK 80% of my work time. And even the 2015 version managed to do all I've asked of it without any problems. Now I'm waiting for 2016 version, and the extra battery life will do me pretty good.

I just hope that this time keyboard will last at least 2 years. I plan on upgrading as soon as TB3 is available on rMB. Honestly, with TB3 and ability to connect to two external monitors, I could use this thing as my primary computer. Only problem is just 8GB of ram, so that will never happen, but if they ever introduce 14" version with 16GB of ram + TB3, I would be the happiest geek in the world :)

23. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

I guess that with 16 GB of RAM it would become my main working machine too... I would go for the new TB3 OWC dock at home to replace my Mac Mini, move the large files from the internal Fusion drive to an external Samsung T3 and let be it.

24. Trey M, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I love the rMB myself. Currently have my 15" MBP as my work machine and rMB for my personal, at home machine. The MacBook is almost the perfect portable machine. Its combination of form factor and weight combine for the absolutely perfect 'in lap' experience.

My only complaints would be the keyboard, lack of TB3, and lack of support for hi-resolution options (4K/5k). I'm aware of the 4K ability but without being compatible with the 5k display, it becomes an issue. The keyboard is great from a usability perspective but I do have issues with keys becoming stuck/less responsive from time to time, which does seem to be temporary rather than permanent. Still an annoyance. Also, with TB3, this machine would become very future proof. However, as has been stated before, the Kaby Lake version of this chip will not bring on-chip support for TB3, so we may have to wait until 2018 until a TB3 version of the rMB is available, where the TB3 controller would theoretically be available on the chip itself.

I will say that I think 16GB support is fairly unlikely in the next revision. While some others above has stated their desire for more RAM, I definitely don't think that user base wishing for more RAM is who Apple is focused on with this machine. While I can see 16GB in this machine happening eventually, I wouldn't bet on it for the 2017 revision.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2017 ---
    This. I've tried iPads again and again but the lack of a true OS makes them pretty useless, for me at least. I'm just more efficient on a real computer and I'm not a fan of most websites which are optimized for mobile/iPad users. I've found since I got a 6+ that the larger device circumvents all my needs for an iPad.

However, the rMB provides all the benefits of an iPad. This is why the device will never have more than 1 USB-C port. It's designed to be as thin and light as possible while still providing a smooth experience on Mac OS. The slightly larger, slightly heavier MacBook Pro (non-TB) can provide a similar experience for anyone looking for something more, whether it be ports or power, however the priorities for the rMacbook have been and will always be (until the next true redesign) portability, battery life and lightweight.

25. wlossw, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017

wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I went to the store about a month ago to try out the new MBPros and instead left with an m5 rMB.... Couldn't be happier with my decision.