Love the iphone, but google got it right when it comes to apps.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bonds79, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Love the iphone, but google got it right when it comes to apps. I just watched the Android G1 youtube by google and it looks like the G1 will come completely "jailbroken" , In others words, All apps are free and no app will be rejected.:apple:

http://www.slate.com/id/2200914/

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

sigh......

you assume too much my friend.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Where'd you get THAT idea?

4. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

If all apps are free I could see that as an issue when no one wants to write apps because there is no monetary benefit to them.

I know some will do it open source style but population wise I think more would rather write for apple apps.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

7. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Free may not be the best word but it seems like it will be like cydia or installer where its up to the developer.

8. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

At launch it has been said (by T-Mobile and Google) that all the Apps will be free. But that is only because they don't anticipate having their payment method for the store ready in time for the launch. They do plan on having paid applications in their store at a later time.

9. Bonds79 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok free may not be the best choice of word but it is up to developer like cydia or installer! i wish apple had more openness...............

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But the developers set the price on the Apple store too. Any price, including 'free' if they want.

You're right about there being no rejection process. That is cool. But the part about free apps works exactly the same way on the iPhone. Some apps are, and some aren't.

It'll be the same with Android.

12. nima macrumors member

nima

you think itll be smart if i get the g1 from tmobile unlocked to work with att and traded it for my iphone 3g? im getting tired of paying data plans.

13. synagence macrumors 6502a

As google has already said ... having an open and unrestricted appstore means that customers are open to downloading and installing apps that could poach all their data.

They mentioned that the phone will prompt things like informing the user to confirm that the app can access certain functions but if they allow then the G1 will allow that app to do what it wants and they said it could lead to the user having to restore their phone because of "bad" apps.

I can easily see the state where an app posing as some kind of speed-dialer or voip app will ask for contact details, and will need access to the phones data but then will transmit that data to a spam server or similar.

Open doesn't always mean better.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You're still going to have to pay a data plan if you use data.

We also aren't 100% sure of the specs, but I have a feeling that you also won't get 3G through anyone but T-Mobile. The G1 is probably designed to only get 3G from T-Mobile's 1700MHz band. So even if you unlocked it and went to another carrier, the best you could hope for is EDGE, as no other carrier currently has any wireless service on 1700.

15. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Typically Electronic Arts is only intersted in the money so they can sell there endless rehashes so pay for apps will soon appear on andriod. I don't disagree with them they put the effort in to making them so they have the right to charge. Soon though it will become just like apples store as games like tris will be removed for been to like an app that ea is trying to sell.

After all Apple is a business and there only trying to protect their product.

16. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Imo, I don't think that Apple is too worried about Android. Sure they'll keep an eye on it, but I think that Android's main target IMO, is Windows Mobile.

17. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

lol@u for assuming something from a YouTube video. Can you say gullible?

18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Symbian, Windows Mobile, and Palm have all had similar open standards for years. There have been a handful of malicious trojans, mostly targeted at Symbian, but nothing on a large scale yet.

Not saying that it won't happen, or that the G1 won't be the first to really get slammed, but there's been plenty of mobile operating systems with open systems and nothing big has hit yet.