Love the Macbook air but missing my old 17" resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OxfordMBA, Aug 14, 2011.

1. OxfordMBA macrumors newbie

Since buying my Macbook Air I have found it a complete joy to use. It is small, light and does not heat up (it sits on my lap happily). It has fabulous battery life and I love the bootup time and SSD memory. I'm in love with it and its now my main computer. Not a bad impression for the first Mac I have ever owned, well done Mr Jobs :)
    Did I mention gestures? They are so good I now find using windows laptops a pain as I find myself using 2 or 3 fingers on the trackpads and nothing happens.

The only thing I have missed is my old 17" laptop resolution of 1920/1200. I missed it so much I just bought it back to life so I could run my VM's and other bits on it.

From reading lots of other posts about the Air the main 2 concerns I have been seeing are to do with the inability to upgrade to 8GB of ram and the small size of the SSD memory.
    It seems there is a market for a 15" Air(ish) model with the 1920/1200 resolution, 8GB ram and more SSD. Am I wrong?

Talking to a Mac evangelist at work (he is passionate about Macs, and is half the reason I have my air), he says that Apple never quite release what people desire. Always holding back just a little so that there is demand for the next model. So .. is that the next model? A 15" Air with 8GB ram and a 1920/1200 screen? The MacBook Pro replacement?

2. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

Doubtful why not just get a MacBook Pro?

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

There are rumors of a thinner and lighter MacBook Pro. I'm not sure they will call it an Air. If you look at where Apple seems to be headed with iCloud and the Mac App Store it would seem like the optical drive is on the way out. Without the optical drive they could certainly make the MacBook Pro thinner and lighter.

If you want my guess it will be next year. They will remove the optical drive and ship the MacBook Pro with a small SSD and a large HDD. They will drop some of the ports to get it down to a more wedge like shape. People on here will raise hell about the lack of ports but in the end it will sell well. The current MacBook Air proves people want thinner and lighter laptops.

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

15" with 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 resolution. Yikes, talk about eye strain.

While I agree more RAM on a MBA would be nice, SSDs > 256GB are very expensive.