love the new Mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Erkinshadow, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Erkinshadow macrumors newbie

4 days ago I went to my local Apple store and picked up the Mac mini. I love this thing. :D

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Congrats! I want one.

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

4. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I picked one up yesterday as a stop gap machine to use whilst waiting for my macbook pro to be repaired (cheaper than not working for 7-10 days).

I am really pleasantly surprised with it. I was effectively thinking it was going to be a waste of cash but its great! Especially with its dual screen output that I didn't find out about until the day I got it. Its now running my dual 1600x1200 20" LCD's and goes really well. I have the 2.0ghz, 320gb hdd, 2gb ram version, I will most likely upgrade the ram to 4gb at some point but am loving it so far.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if you love your mini now,

install Boxee and plug it into an HDTV.

if you do, i dare you to tell me you don't love it more after that

6. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I would actually recommend Plex over Boxee after playing around with them for a while. Plex is amazing and I now want another 2 mac minis to replace my aging XBMC machines.

7. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I love my new mini too! It's a huge improvement over my old 1.66. Especially graphics-wise. It's brilliant. I totally LOVE the dual-screen support too.

I did have to install 4GB before it could run World of Warcraft without stuttering though but I always max out my ram anyway.

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

really? i'm not that big of a fan of Plex... i really like the social features of Boxee. and i think the interface is a lot simpler+more streamlined.

aww well too bad you can't bump up the processor with a new socket M :) the only lame thing about the older 1.66 is the RAM being maxed out at 2GB :(

9. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

10. Eyedn macrumors regular

Congrats on the Mini.

Shameless plug ftw.

Maclister.com (As above) is actually really good.

11. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I suppose being a long time XBMC user Plex feels more logical to me. There are bits of Boxee I like but one thing that really annoyed me was its method of updating the library - you just kind of wait for it to appear in the new stuff list, never knowing what its actually scanning. The social stuff also doesn't appeal to me that much, not fussed what my mates are watching.

Either way, this thing is an awesome media playing machine.

12. JoelHodder macrumors member

@Erkinshadow or anyone else, could you tell me how well this newest mini runs COD4?

Thanks ;)

13. bzboy01 macrumors newbie

I love my mac mini too

I finally went to the apple store and bought myself a mac mini. I have connected it with my 40" LCD and am just loving it. I am currently using PLEX, which is a cool idea, but has too many bugs. It can only get better. If someone here is thinking about purchasing a mac mini, please go ahead. I love mine and I am enjoying it a lot.....

14. RealaT macrumors regular

What problems are you having?

15. bzboy01 macrumors newbie

Problems....

Once in a while, plex stalls. It forgets my network drive every single time I put my mac mini to sleep. But I am still using it. Its a great idea and hopefully it will get better in the future. But mac mini is the best hardware for the price...

16. marty131 macrumors newbie

Can the mac mini with Nvidia graphics output to 1920x1200, and run at this resolution acceptably?

My Macbook with intel onboard graphics is fine for most apps, but intensive apps such as iphoto, word 08 etc. becomes a sluggish. iPhoto is basically unusable at this resolution. EyeTV even poops out after 1 or 2 minuts of watching at this resolution.

17. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

It will have no problem running that resolution, and neither should your MacBook.. how much RAM have you got in your MacBook? The Intel Chipset will still only steal ~200MB's of RAM anyway..

18. Erkinshadow thread starter macrumors newbie

Im using xbmc hooked up to a 32 in hdtv and a 19 in lg. hulu and iso in xbmc are working great
    :)

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

20. Foggy macrumors 6502a

I'm running dual 1600x1200 screens off my mac mini with no issues. 1920x1200 should be fine.