LOVE the tb display so far

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hefeglass, Sep 27, 2011.

1. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i am completely happy with how well this thing works on my 2011 mba 13. Even at such a high resolution, it has no problems with choppiness or anything.

I also have my time machine external HDD plugged into the display via USB, ethernet also plugged into the display going to my power line ethernet in my house. I also had another external seagate go flex drive connected to the usb ports on the display (although the drive is usb 3 compatible, it was only working at usb 2 speeds, and they seemed excessively slow through the display )
    I did a disk speed test on the seagate drive using USB and got about 15mb/s sometimes a little higher, sometimes lower.

I went to best buy and got the go flex firewire 800 cable for 20 bucks...
    the difference is incredible! I now have the external seagate 1tb go flex drive connected via firewire into the TB display and I am getting read speeds of over 70mb/s. I moved my entire iTunes library to the 1tb drive to free up a bunch of space on my internal SSD.

HAVE A QUESTION on a related note!

after moving my iTunes library and telling iTunes where the new library was, consolidating, and everything else...itunes works good, reading all of my media from the external drive now.
    but when i deleted all of the iTunes media from my internal SSD to free up a bunch of space, i didn't see ANY free space become available. I moved them to the trash and also made sure to empty the trash as well.
    The media is over 45 gigs of data, so I was expecting to see 45g added to my free space.. For some reason istat isn't showing any additional free space..i even tried rebooting and restarting istat.

WHERE iS MY FREE SPACE?!

2. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Do you noice any increase of temp or higher rpm on your fan?

3. misterbig macrumors member

I have a feeling you might have deleted the iTunes folder that you copied to the Seagate 1TB external drive instead. You might want to check to make sure.

4. hefeglass thread starter macrumors 6502a

^i thought I might have done that also...but I checked and it's all there.
    The external drive is called "iTunes". And I made a directory on it for my media. Changed advanced prefs in iTunes to point to the external drive. Consolidated files...which copied everything to the external drive. Then I removed the iTunes media from my internal ssd.
    Restarted iTunes and checked to make sure it's reading my media from the external drive. It definitely is...I even did a get info on some of the files to verify...

I moved all the stuff to the trash and then I assumed the free space would increase dramatically when I emptied it.....but it didnt.

I had 55gig free according to istat before moving the media...and now it's still about 55gig free after trashing and emptying.

Strange

5. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

You might try something like Disk Inventory X (good, free) or DaisyDisk (better, paid) to examine the SSD. Something as big as your iTunes library should show up easily!

Regards,
    Brian33

6. hefeglass thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Loving mine too.
    Using FW800, ethernet over powerline, all usb slots filled. That and Facetime HD camera plus sound and video all over one thin cable. Awesome.

8. JabbaII macrumors regular

9. chrism88 macrumors newbie

This was fixed with a recent firmware update, I never noticed this myself

10. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Not as much as a batting of an eyelid on mine. Picture's incredibly solid, bright, rich in color and in contrast. Awesome monitor simply put, although the glossy surface means reflections can be an issue; I have to turn off some lights if I want to watch DVDs or I'll see bits of the room behind me mirrored in dark portions of the video.

Right now I have my iPhone USB cable, external keyboard and gigabit ethernet to my Time Capsule hooked up, and everything works just dandy.

Funny tidbit, the transceiver in the thunderbolt connector attaching to the Mac becomes noticeably warm during use, and the heat even spreads a few centimeters down the cable itself. :)

11. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

you might need to empty your recycle bin to get the free space as the data is moved to Trash incase you accidentally deleted it!