LOVE time machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RafaelCastro, Jan 5, 2013.

1. RafaelCastro macrumors newbie

Well, I just what to share a little story...
    Recently, I have been working in a project with unity 3D for more than a year and a half and today, two days before I have to present it, a code failed, and it corrupted my entire project, but I had made a Backup 5 hours earlier. Now, thanks to time machine, I was able to recover all.
    :)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It can be a lifesaver. I can't fathom why folks with "critical" data don't backup especially when it's a easy to use as TM.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Glad TM saved you, but you might also ought to learn how to use a version control system such as GIT.

4. Bear macrumors G3

As long as it is remembered that even if someone uses GIT, a backup solution like Time Machine is still needed.

5. benwiggy, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

benwiggy macrumors 68020

Indeed. Apple have made backups effortless: buy external, plug in, and forget.

Yet still we see threads of "my hard drive has died, how do I recover my wedding photos?"; or "my iPhone just wiped out all my Contacts".
    TM was introduced in Leopard in 2007. I find it increasingly difficult to muster compassion for people who still don't have any backup.

TM is not perfect, however, and other backup strategies may suit some. But at least it's there as the "default", built-in backup solution. Before TM, backing up meant burning a DVD when you remembered. Only professionals bought Retrospect with tape drives. Now: everyone has hourly snapshots!!!!

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have a 3 TB external plugged into my Airport Extreme, and I'm running Time Machine backups to that automatically over the network. I got my first Mac a couple of months ago, and I thought it would probably take one whole night to get everything up and running, and another whole night to get my backups and file transfers all done. The whole everything took me less than a night--by the end of the night I was USING the Mac, not setting it up.